Diversity idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

infernallyx

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know another notorious diversity question. I was thinking about talking about being a black/somali muslim, specifically wearing a hijab-- making my identity very apparent to onlookers. In my draft I talk a little bit about being stared at and called abhorrent words (t*rrorist, but I don't want to say that word specifically) for that reason. I continue to talk about being judged on my appearance makes me counter with acceptance of others. I also talk about the diversity of the community within the mosque I went to growing up. How we all came from different backgrounds, but prayed and ate together.

Is this too much? Maybe I talk too much about religion?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I know another notorious diversity question. I was thinking about talking about being a black/somali muslim, specifically wearing a hijab-- making my identity very apparent to onlookers. In my draft I talk a little bit about being stared at and called abhorrent words (t*rrorist, but I don't want to say that word specifically) for that reason. I continue to talk about being judged on my appearance makes me counter with acceptance of others. I also talk about the diversity of the community within the mosque I went to growing up. How we all came from different backgrounds, but prayed and ate together.

Is this too much? Maybe I talk too much about religion?
Adversity subject, not diversity.

The Black experience brings diversity

Members don't see this ad :)
Adversity- great topic. A lot of schools have secondary prompts asking for something like a unique hardship you had growing up. For a diversity essay, speak about how being in the Muslim community has changed your views and if it applies, how you will apply that in medicine.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Adversity- great topic. A lot of schools have secondary prompts asking for something like a unique hardship you had growing up. For a diversity essay, speak about how being in the Muslim community has changed your views and if it applies, how you will apply that in medicine.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I think connecting it will put the whole thing together-- I need to focus in on the prompt rather than dance around it
Adversity subject, not diversity.

The Black experience brings diversity

I do talk about my identity a lot within the essay-- emphasizing that aspect, my adversity isn't the main subject. I talk about learning to cherish these identities and part of that is due to how I was treated (not solely). I can tie in my Black experience as well (I touch on it when talking about my visible identity). I've been in between discussing being Muslim, Black, Somali (first gen American) or all. Then I question whether any of these make me diverse at all.

Thank you all! I understand where the adversity idea is coming from, will contemplate more
(It is difficult because parts of who I am are also how I am seen and therefore treated, but definitely something I'll think about)