Diversity of Extracirricular Activities...advice would be appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KD1655

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I probably should have by now, I have yet to begin the application process. I am relatively concerned regarding the diversity of my extracirricular activities considering that I do not have too many outside of the fire/EMS world since most of my time is consumed by that. Here is a quick run down of my extracirriculars. Please tell me if you think I need to add more diverisity. Thank you.

EMT: 5 years and counting. Have done everything from volunteering in my hometown to working a paid service in a large city seeing gunshots, stabbings, overdoses on a regular basis. I work ~40 hours a week while finishing undergraduate degree. Hopefully by time of application, I will have finished paramedic school.

EMS Task Force: volunteer with a state EMS Task Force working with physicians, nurses, paramedics, EMTs to establish continuity of care during a large disaster. There are alot of drills and such.

Fire Dept.: I volunteer with a local fire department responding to many different types of calls from smoke alarm activations to auto extrications to structure fires. I have completed Firefighter 1 and Firefighter 2 courses plus many other fire related courses. All told, I probably have 500 hours worth of training under my belt.

The top three activities along with my undergraduate work takes up ALOT of my time. Therefore, I only have had time to do the following school related activites:

Tau Beta Pi: national engineering honor society...haven't really done much with other than get the certificate.

My school's biomedical engineering honor society: same description as above

My school's biomedical engineering society: served as student senate representative for ~3 semesters

Volunteered in a lab at a local medical school for the summer (last summer).

So thats pretty much my life in a nutshell. Does anyone think that my extracirricular activities are too fire/EMS focused? If so, what would you suggest I go about doing to change. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Man, you got some serious commitment to helping in emergency situations! Better to be you than to be jack of all trades, master of none. Don't worry about having all these crazy extracurriculars. You're not applying to clown college, you're applying to med school!