SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Diversity of Letters of Recommendation

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by jubb, Mar 21, 2007.

1. jubb

jubb Tern 7+ Year Member

Jun 1, 2006
    How important is diversity of Letters of Recommendation? Scheduling wasn't as kind to me as I'd hoped. In July I have a month of Trauma, August a SICU month, September a Colorectal month. I was hoping to submit my application in early september, but the Trauma and SICU are under the same department, so If I got two letters of recommendation from there they would both have the same department on them. I'm glad because the attendings will get to know me better, but I wish I was able to have a little more diversity. How will this affect things?

Also, if I wait to get a Letter from someone in the colorectal department and don't end up submitting my application till the first week of october, will that decrease my chances of getting interviews and the flexibility of my interviews?

Justin

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Skialta

Skialta 7+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Northwest
    You will be fine because usually the attending will talk about their individual experience with you i.e. sicu, or trauma. I would definitely plan on sending your application as early as possible as in sept. 1st.

4. jbish

jbish Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Montreal
    Randomly, my letters of rec were from a gynecologist, hematologist, general surgeon, and urologist (chair of the surgery department). I actually got all positive feedback at interviews about having such a "well-rounded" set of letters...but this, of course, was only the feedback I got to my face. Who knows what people said about such a jumble behind my back.