diversity of research in academic radonc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dunkindona

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would I be able to do basic neuroscience research as a radonc doc? Specifically, could I study something like visual perception or nicotine addiction?

Members don't see this ad.

maybe, but there probably needs to be some loose tie to neuro-oncology.

Doubtful, your job is to treat cancer. If you want to do basic neuroscience research you would probably better served in Neuro or Psych. I've never seen RadOnc physicians performing research which was not directly related to oncology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would I be able to do basic neuroscience research as a radonc doc? Specifically, could I study something like visual perception or nicotine addiction?

you can do basic sci research in neuro onc unless you were essentially leaving your field of training. the better question would be, why would you want to be a radiation oncologist if your primary interest is general neurosciences.

During my medicine rotation, I felt like I could make the biggest difference for cancer patients. I very much enjoyed working with them. But, I am not interested in basic science research in cancer biology or radiation oncology. My research heart is in understanding visual processing and perception.

in this era, if you want to "make a difference" you need a focus to stick with. I would expect it would be very challenging for you to get hired by a program to see cancer patients but to, say, nicotine addiction (unless some pathway were related to the field). Perhaps someone who is actually doing said research could chime in on how that happens.
During my medicine rotation, I felt like I could make the biggest difference for cancer patients. I very much enjoyed working with them. But, I am not interested in basic science research in cancer biology or radiation oncology. My research heart is in understanding visual processing and perception.

... has always been a challenge for me. Fortunately, I have thus far been able to pursue thoroughly my varied interests, because of my commitment and lack of need for sleep. I know the day is coming when I will have to figure out how I want to combine my research and clinical interests in some fashion to reduce the load a bit. I have thought about neurology/epilepsy, radiology, and ophthalmology since I have been in grad school studying primate (humans and non-humans) vision...Medical or surgical oncology, not so much (only because the cancer docs I know through family and college connections have thus far been radonc docs).

... has always been a challenge for me. Fortunately, I have thus far been able to pursue thoroughly my varied interests, because of my commitment and lack of need for sleep. I know the day is coming when I will have to figure out how I want to combine my research and clinical interests in some fashion to reduce the load a bit. I have thought about neurology/epilepsy, radiology, and ophthalmology since I have been in grad school studying primate (humans and non-humans) vision...Medical or surgical oncology, not so much (only because the cancer docs I know through family and college connections have thus far been radonc docs).

If I allow my brain to go far enough back in time, I can remember the youthful ambition of wanting to be a rock star, super bowl quarterback, Noble Prize winner, and a dog, cat, apple, and orange all at the same time. If you love visual tracts/neuron research – do it! But don’t forget that your current research love, might change with a better understanding of the exciting questions that exist in your chosen field of clinical work. Bottom line: if you want to be the best you can be at something (not just pretty good) it requires all of your effort (and then your family, kids, parent teacher meetings, bills, cooking, cleaning, eating, sleeping, etc requires the rest).

Good luck and choose wisely!