Diversity Question on secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EricTan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. It is my understanding that when I have to fill out secondaries many schools will ask for a short essay about diversity and how I will contribute to it. I am a white, middle class suburbanite whose parents had abandoned their culture and religion long ago. I really have about as bland a cultural background as you can get. What can I say for it? Am I just screwed? Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

there is also diversity in experiences, you can talk about what you have done that makes you unique.

I'm with you, EricTan. White, suburban, upper middle class. The only thing you can do is address the diversity of your experiences and things that make you stand out. I highlighted the fact that I am a little older than the average applicant, with a graduate school/research background, and that I hadn't wanted to be a doctor since birth but rather arrived at that decision after a lot of exploration and soul-searching. I have no idea if this helped me or not.

Does anyone in the know (LizzyM for example) know how much adcoms actually care about diversity that is unrelated to race/economic background? I know a lot of schools include a line about how they have broad definitions of diversity, but is this actually true?

Members don't see this ad :)
We all have unique things about ourselves and our lives. You need to think about what those things are and include them in your diversity essay. Diversity isn't just about skin color or ethnicity It is about your experiences and what you will bring to the table.

We all have unique things about ourselves and our lives. You need to think about what those things are and include them in your diversity essay. Diversity isn't just about skin color or ethnicity It is about your experiences and what you will bring to the table.

what kind of cow is that? Herfert, Santa ca Truz (however you spell it)?

Exactly the right way to attack the diversity question. Focus on what it is about you that makes you different. What have your life experiences given you that differentiates the way you see the world from the next guy or girl? It is actually a pretty difficult question that forces us to be quite introspective if answered correctly.

It is more about your background and what you bring to the table (not to steal cpants' quote...) that makes you a worthy addition to a school.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help