Diversity secondary question opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blacksweater

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some opinions on what to write for the diversity secondary app question: How will you contribute to the diversity of X school.

I could either talk about my experience as a dancer and performing with, as well as, collaborating with other different dance groups. I figured dancing sort of makes me unique, and it's not even a common dance form (it's poi if anyone was wondering).

Or I could talk about being born to immigrant parents and talking about their beliefs/practices with traditional medicine and how that's incorporated with my knowledge of Western medicine.

Should I use one topic over the other, or maybe even use both?

Thanks for your opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

I would use the dancer or a combination of both.

America is becoming more and more diverse so being an immigrant isn't that tremendously special anymore.

Talk about how your culture and dancing blend together?

I think the dancing thing is more unique. Just depends which story you can sell better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would use the dancer or a combination of both.

America is becoming more and more diverse so being an immigrant isn't that tremendously special anymore.

Talk about how your culture and dancing blend together?
I was thinking of doing some sort of combination of the two, but I'm not sure if it would flow smoothly.

Also, I already mentioned my dancing experiences in my primary app. Would it be okay to mention it again in my secondary?

I was thinking of doing some sort of combination of the two, but I'm not sure if it would flow smoothly.

Also, I already mentioned my dancing experiences in my primary app. Would it be okay to mention it again in my secondary?

If it doesn't flow smoothly, don't force it. You can write a perfectly good essay on either alone.

If you can mention different aspects/experiences about your dancing activity it should be fine. You don't want to say the same things in your primary PS and secondaries but if you highlight other things to show you off as a candidate it would work.

Could you expand on what you mean by this?

some people come in with an axe to grind about traditional medicine vs Western medicine, or they have something to prove, or they come off like they think they know it all

I would want to be sure anyone with a traditional medicine background sounded very open minded and blank slate and was ready to practice predominately Western medicine since that's what MD/DO schools teach

Reactions: 1 users
I like this a lot!

I could either talk about my experience as a dancer and performing with, as well as, collaborating with other different dance groups. I figured dancing sort of makes me unique, and it's not even a common dance form (it's poi if anyone was wondering).

This is not merely common, it's TOO common. You don't want to run the risk of someone who equates traditional medicine with "unproven claims".

Or I could talk about being born to immigrant parents and talking about their beliefs/practices with traditional medicine and how that's incorporated with my knowledge of Western medicine.

Reactions: 1 users