Quantcast

Diversity Statement help please

Join BeMo Premed MasterMind Club®
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

losangeleno1

Reaction score
I am trying to pre-write maybe half a page of a generic diversity statement before my app gets verified and I just don't know how to approach this question.

I have 4 things on my mind.
1. Growing up in an immigrant community and what I learned about approaching different cultures due to this
2. Helping raise my sister who is 10 years younger than me
3. Traveling in many different countries and exploring different cultures
4. Unique interests (that I already talked about in my PS)

So if a school asks me to state how I would contribute to diversity at their school, would I touch on these 4 points briefly or just go into depth about one?

Any tips?

lavacake

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Quality over quantity"
"What's cool about you, doesn't have to relate to medicine"
"If we took a random sample of 8 med students, what esoteric knowledge or perspective could you contribute"
"If you can convey the notion that I would be comfortable with you interacting with patients of different background than you, then I would consider your essay successful"

These seem to be the pieces of wisdom that I see fairly often from the SDN adcoms (Goro, LizzyM, etc). As with any piece of writing, a laser focus is better than a shotgun approach. I feel as though you could speak in great detail about any of those, though #3 doesn't seem to be regarded as a wise topic from my research on SDN about diversity essays.