PhD/PsyD Division 2: STP Annual Conference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calimich

Associate Professor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heading out for Denver this morning. Anyone else going or have gone? It's my first time and I've heard good things.

STP Annual Conference

Members don't see this ad.

Heading out for Denver this morning. Anyone else going or have gone? It's my first time and I've heard good things.

STP Annual Conference
Looks like a interesting program schedule (the titles, at least). I'd be curious to hear back from you regarding how much of the content is research based. Denver is one my favorite conference cities- easy to get to, safe and pleasant to walk around, lot's of stuff to do, and not stupidly expensive as a tourist destination, and the fishing guides will pick you up and drop you off at your hotel!

Have fun and enjoy the conference!

Members don't see this ad :)
I joined STP for the first time this year. The listserv is dead, seems like a very static organization. I am thinking of not renewing (even the measly $25).

Please report what the conference is like.

I joined STP for the first time this year. The listserv is dead, seems like a very static organization. I am thinking of not renewing (even the measly $25).

Please report what the conference is like.
Are you a member of their FB group? I think that's much more active than the listserv.

Are you a member of their FB group? I think that's much more active than the listserv.
Damn it! Another way FB is ruining the world.:)

I don't book the face. Seems counter-intuitive, charge a fee and have a dead listserv. Allow free exchange on FB. All I am paying for is the hard copy of the journal, which is bad for the environment and I have free access through my university anyway. You are making my decision about renewal even easier.

Damn it! Another way FB is ruining the world.:)

I don't book the face. Seems counter-intuitive, charge a fee and have a dead listserv. Allow free exchange on FB. All I am paying for is the hard copy of the journal, which is bad for the environment and I have free access through my university anyway. You are making my decision about renewal even easier.

That's it, we need to start an SDN conference, we can even publish our own journal. I need some associate editors for the journal, you in?>

That's it, we need to start an SDN conference, we can even publish our own journal. I need some associate editors for the journal, you in?>
Would the journal be primarily about applying for grad school, applying for internship, and passing the EPPP (to properly represent the most common topics on the forum)?

And every two years a debate about RxP.
We'd need an article once per issue about the pros and cons of online doctorates in psychology. We could also have a one off issue where that tin foil hat modern psychologist can come in and rant about the psychology "deep state."

Reactions: 1 users
Would the journal be primarily about applying for grad school, applying for internship, and passing the EPPP (to properly represent the most common topics on the forum)?

Proposed other sections:

1)“I know things are done this way, but can’t an exception be made for me?”

2) I don’t actually know anything about clinical psychology education. I’m guessing it works like this. But I’m gonna get mad if you say I’m wrong.

3) Where can I get a job in a highly respected field near my house where I can drop my kids off at school, go to work, take a long lunch, then leave by 2 so I can pick up my kids and do family stuff? I wanna make above median, do research, and have a private practice.

4) I want to study or work with an intensely rare population in the USA that doesn’t traditionally make a ton of money or have insurance.

5) Moving more than 15 minutes away from where I am seated right now.

Reporting back from STP Denver. It was a good small conference; the smallest I've been to, ~300 people. The research presented was interesting, and on a continuum from multinational collaborations to single professors investigating their own students/classroom practices.

The most interesting sessions for me were these international ones which examined multiple perspectives of best practices of university teaching. Unsurprising to me, there seem to be two universally agreed upon traits (by teachers and students) which signify "good teaching" -- enthusiasm and knowledge. Where I thought things got more interesting was in seeing where students and profs disagreed and where local culture seemed to directly influence what participants deemed "good teaching." In the US sample, professors rated "teaching critical thinking" as the 3rd most important quality, while critical thinking was not in the top 10 of the students' ratings. In China and Japan "respect" was rated 3rd by teachers and students, while in South America "effective communicator" was rated 3rd by both. Anyway, I thought this was a well done project involving over a dozen countries on four continents with tens of thousands of participants.

The "single professors investigating their own practice" was a bit disappointing, although unsurprising. My dissertation was in the area of teacher training and a major criticism of the body of literature is the proliferation of these kind of studies.

Seems counter-intuitive, charge a fee and have a dead listserv. Allow free exchange on FB. All I am paying for is the hard copy of the journal, which is bad for the environment and I have free access through my university anyway. You are making my decision about renewal even easier.

I went to the division business meeting and they discussed this. Something to the effect of "we're a division who gives away all our good stuff for free." The leadership said they did not want to change this and were looking for ways to increase membership.

And Denver is a great city to visit. Relatively inexpensive, clean, easy to get around, nice scenery. I have friends there and a former student studying at DU so it was nice to see them. Also never hurts that my U funds the trip; I'm not sure I'd attend on my own dime.