Divorce in Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I saw the thread that asked about marriage and am now wondering about divorce in dental school. Nowadays, what begins as the happy marriage often ends up in divorce. To make matters worse, as a dental student, the demands on your time will definitely take away from your relationship with your significant other. And if your significant other is the slightest bit insecure that you spend 15 hours a day with your classmates, half of which will be of the opposite sex, and let's be honest, most dental students are average to above average in looks, then that sure seems like a recipe for disaster. The next thing you know, you're in your 8th month as a 1st year dental student going through a nasty divorce while trying to study for your gross anatomy tests among your many other tests. Your grades are suffering because of the distraction in your personal life and there's not much you can do but suck it up and drive on.

So thinking of this, I'm curious if any dental students have seen some of their classmates go through a divorce while in dental school and how they coped with it. Any info?

Members don't see this ad.

Slash said:
and let's be honest, most dental students are average to above average in looks

Umm..not so sure about that! :laugh:

I think you are referring to communication or psych majors.

Hey look at the bright side, maybe your ex will have to take half of the debt you've gotten yourself into with dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
PDizzle said:
Umm..not so sure about that! :laugh:

I think you are referring to communication or psych majors.

Ok, maybe I'm being a wee-bit generous with that comment :p , but at all the schools I interviewed and have been accepted to there were some real lookers. Anyhow, everyone always seems to be all for marriage, and I'm sure with the right person married life can be great. But chances are probably 50/50 of whether a marriage will work and I just don't see the rigors of dental school doing anything to help it work....especially if there is any slight bit of insecurity.

Slash said:
Ok, maybe I'm being a wee-bit generous with that comment :p , but at all the schools I interviewed and have been accepted to there were some real lookers. Anyhow, everyone always seems to be all for marriage, and I'm sure with the right person married life can be great. But chances are probably 50/50 of whether a marriage will work and I just don't see the rigors of dental school doing anything to help it work....especially if there is any slight bit of insecurity.

Marriage is an unselfish commitment. You and your spouse both make sacrifices. If one or the other cannot cope well disaster can strike. Good thing I married a stable minded women. She took abuse with two kids and me NEVER home for a year when I had tons of school work. 6 in the morning to 9 or 12 at night most of the time. From what I understand, dental school is an 8-6 job with maybe some late nights here and there for tests, etc. If you are good with time management you will schedule family time. It's all about priorities.

My student interviewer told me that one couple in her class did get a divorce, but that most married students stay together. I know my wife will feel frustrations, but I think we are strong enough to pull through.

Slash said:
So, I saw the thread that asked about marriage and am now wondering about divorce in dental school. Nowadays, what begins as the happy marriage often ends up in divorce. To make matters worse, as a dental student, the demands on your time will definitely take away from your relationship with your significant other. And if your significant other is the slightest bit insecure that you spend 15 hours a day with your classmates, half of which will be of the opposite sex, and let's be honest, most dental students are average to above average in looks, then that sure seems like a recipe for disaster. The next thing you know, you're in your 8th month as a 1st year dental student going through a nasty divorce while trying to study for your gross anatomy tests among your many other tests. Your grades are suffering because of the distraction in your personal life and there's not much you can do but suck it up and drive on.

So thinking of this, I'm curious if any dental students have seen some of their classmates go through a divorce while in dental school and how they coped with it. Any info?
just get divorced befor u starrt and u won't have any issues :)

Better to do it in dental school than when you have assets and a practice that can be split in half.