DIY Post-Bac Rigor Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enzymatic21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am about to start making a class schedule for a DIY post-bac at my local university. I am a staff member here as well, so I get 3 classes basically free. After looking at all of the options available, these 3 are the only ones that fit with my work schedule: A/P 1 (1200 class number), Neuro elective (1430), and Animal Behavior (1400).

My question is how would it look taking classes called "Animal Behavior," which is on the easier side and not related to the human body, look to adcoms even though it is an upper-level science course? It just seems silly to waste time waiting for all tough, body-related classes and not take advantage of a free one.

For context, I was a neuro major in college so I have taken a handful of tough classes on top of the med school requirements. I have a steep upward trend as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody is really going to know or care as long as it's a science class.

Reactions: 1 users
My question is how would it look taking classes called "Animal Behavior," which is on the easier side and not related to the human body, look to adcoms even though it is an upper-level science course?
It's fine and it's an upper-level science course - ace it to show you can successfully manage heavy science courses and maintain your upward trend.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's fine and it's an upper-level science course - ace it to show you can successfully manage heavy science courses and maintain your upward trend.

Nobody is really going to know or care as long as it's a science class.

So as long as I take upper level science courses thats fine? I was under the impression that students have to take specific courses like microbio, molecular bio, etc during a post bac

Hey all,

I am about to start making a class schedule for a DIY post-bac at my local university. I am a staff member here as well, so I get 3 classes basically free. After looking at all of the options available, these 3 are the only ones that fit with my work schedule: A/P 1 (1200 class number), Neuro elective (1430), and Animal Behavior (1400).

My question is how would it look taking classes called "Animal Behavior," which is on the easier side and not related to the human body, look to adcoms even though it is an upper-level science course? It just seems silly to waste time waiting for all tough, body-related classes and not take advantage of a free one.

For context, I was a neuro major in college so I have taken a handful of tough classes on top of the med school requirements. I have a steep upward trend as well.
DIY post-bacs are dress rehearsals for med school.

We don't have Animal Behavior classes in med school.

The fact that you have to work for a living cuts you some slack. But can't you find a different class at a different school?

DIY post-bacs are dress rehearsals for med school.

We don't have Animal Behavior classes in med school.

The fact that you have to work for a living cuts you some slack. But can't you find a different class at a different school?

Thanks for the response Goro. If I looked at a different school I could probably find a more appropriate class. The problem is my current university offers 3 classes basically for free (work there), and it just seems silly to pass up that opportunity to pay big bucks for a more applicable class.

Thanks for the response Goro. If I looked at a different school I could probably find a more appropriate class. The problem is my current university offers 3 classes basically for free (work there), and it just seems silly to pass up that opportunity to pay big bucks for a more applicable class.
Go for it and do your best then.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you post the course description of this animal behavior class? Without it, I am thinking that it is similar to zoology, which AMCAS classifies at part of biology.

upload_2018-2-26_11-11-53.png

I did a structured post-bacc and all my classes were 2000/3000 level, which seems similar to what your 1200/1300 would be? If so, are there any classes at those levels that are more medically focused than Animal Behavior? I have to think excelling in a middle division relevant course looks better than an upper division non-relevant one, esp when you are only going to be taking so many courses before you apply.

It will be fine. You can take any biology, chemistry, physics, or math class. Free and works with your schedule? Sounds like a great reason to take it. Make sure you get As tho :)

Take the free classes, you'll need to save that money for applications, interviews, etc.

Can you post the course description of this animal behavior class? Without it, I am thinking that it is similar to zoology, which AMCAS classifies at part of biology.

View attachment 229863

Course description: Examination of animal diversity ecologically and evolutionarily. Eating and mating patterns, competition, communications, and socialized living will all be studied. It specifically states you need intro bio and ecology to enroll and is a course for advanced students.

I did a structured post-bacc and all my classes were 2000/3000 level, which seems similar to what your 1200/1300 would be? If so, are there any classes at those levels that are more medically focused than Animal Behavior? I have to think excelling in a middle division relevant course looks better than an upper division non-relevant one, esp when you are only going to be taking so many courses before you apply.

Yea I think you're right bc our grad school classes are 2000+. What would you consider a middle division relevant course? I assumed the distinction was just intro vs upper level courses.

Course description: Examination of animal diversity ecologically and evolutionarily. Eating and mating patterns, competition, communications, and socialized living will all be studied. It specifically states you need intro bio and ecology to enroll and is a course for advanced students.

Sounds like it would fall under AMCAS' biology definition.

It will be fine. You can take any biology, chemistry, physics, or math class. Free and works with your schedule? Sounds like a great reason to take it. Make sure you get As tho :)

Take the free classes, you'll need to save that money for applications, interviews, etc.

Awesome, thanks! Yea finances are my biggest concern down the road so saving that money would be huge.

So as long as I take upper level science courses thats fine? I was under the impression that students have to take specific courses like microbio, molecular bio, etc during a post bac
@Enzymatic21 ... it's fine ... and it's a free course for you at your university ... and AMCAS most likely accepts it as a "biology" course from your university.

[As far as I'm concerned ... animal behavior is the bridge between the molecular and physiological aspects of neurobiological, biological and ecological. Behavior is the link between organisms and the environment and between the nervous system and the ecosystem. Behavior is one of the most important properties of animal life and plays a critical role in biological adaptations.]