This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted687538

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! I need to do a DIY post-bacc after graduation. I'm only looking at community colleges for financial reasons. I have completed all my pre-reqs, so I'll be taking other BCPM classes and some re-takes for a GPA boost/prep for the MCAT. The post-bacc classes will not require labs.

It looks like I have two options based on my finances:
1. Enroll in an out-of-state community college and take online classes completely free due to a special program.
2. Enroll in my local local community college 40 minutes away and pay anywhere from $5k-10K+ out of pocket with financial aid.

I'm a first-gen college student in a rural area, and I will need to work in addition to any post bacc classes I take. It just doesn't seem feasible to drive 80+ minutes each day to take classes, still pay so much out of pocket AND work on top of it — especially because all my laboratory requirements are satisfied. I know a good handful of med schools do not like online classes, but it seems like the most feasible way to show re-invention. I'm coming from a HYP undergrad, and I can feasibly boost my cGPA to 3.7 and sGPA to 3.6 before I apply for the 2022-23 cycle if I take courses this summer, fall and spring.

Any thoughts? Are medical schools more likely to be okay with online coursework anyway with the pandemic? Does it even matter since I finished my pre-reqs anyway?

EDIT: I also have a strong upward trend, if that eases the "taking CC classes to skirt around hard ones" narrative. I had a rough freshman and sophomore year because of personal reasons I can explain on my application. My junior and senior year GPAs are between 3.8-4.0.
Many people (myself included) view community college as being less academically-rigorous than 4-year institutions. When I see someone do their academic enhancement post bac at a community college, my first thought is whether they did it for easy A's, or if it was done out of necessity. Questions that I and others have asked in these situations:
1) Did they at least have good grades during their final year at a 4-year institution?
2) Do they come from a family of means? What percentage of their education was funded through scholarships vs family contribution vs applicant contribution?
3) Are they also working to support their post-bac education?
4) Do they live in a rural area in which there is no other educational alternative?
5) Any other mitigating factors (e.g being first-gen, family losing main source of income, etc)?

If I was evaluating your application, I would see your pursuing community college as being borne out of necessity, mitigating much of the negative stigma associated with community colleges. I do believe that most (but not all) adcom members at my school would be similarly understanding in their evaluations. I doubt that those who are willing to look past your community college status will find issue with your online status, especially with the current pandemic still in full swing. Doing a post-bac at a 4-year institution remains preferred, but if your choice is between these two community colleges, my vote would be to save your money and time.

Be sure to include your work experience(s) in your application (lump them all together if space is tight). In the description of the work experience during your post-bac, consider including one sentence that states or implies your need to work during your post-bac in case the connection is not already abundantly clear to the reader. Just my thoughts, and best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user