DIY Post-Bacc vs More Years at College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maximum42

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently a senior in college in my fifth year. I decided to take an extra year to take more classes and increase my GPA; I decided on medicine really late and also wasn't the best at studying, so I figured it would be a good idea to take more classes to improve things. I'm currently at a cGPA of 2.98 and an sGPA of lower than that, due to struggles with studying properly. My plan is to stay in school for another year and a half and graduate in 6 years, hopefully with my GPAs both being around 3.2 at the end, and taking my MCAT after graduation, probably in September of 2021. Does this sound like a good plan? I see DIY post-baccs and SMPs thrown around a lot as ideas for people with low GPAs, but I figured this would work best for me from a money and location standpoint, especially considering I already have some pre-reqs under my belt. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you feel like you can do well by taking a few more years, and it would save you money, then go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I'm currently a senior in college in my fifth year. I decided to take an extra year to take more classes and increase my GPA; I decided on medicine really late and also wasn't the best at studying, so I figured it would be a good idea to take more classes to improve things. I'm currently at a cGPA of 2.98 and an sGPA of lower than that, due to struggles with studying properly. My plan is to stay in school for another year and a half and graduate in 6 years, hopefully with my GPAs both being around 3.2 at the end, and taking my MCAT after graduation, probably in September of 2021. Does this sound like a good plan? I see DIY post-baccs and SMPs thrown around a lot as ideas for people with low GPAs, but I figured this would work best for me from a money and location standpoint, especially considering I already have some pre-reqs under my belt. Any thoughts?
Read this:

I did DIY Post Bacc at a local community college, retook the MCAT, and also worked as a CNA. Two birds with one stone and it never made a difference for me. That way its insanely cheaper and you can play up the 'multitasking' and patient contact areas. Pm me with questions but I highly recommend it to those who need a little boost but nothing extreme.

Reactions: 2 users