DIY Postbacc Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1908

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm doing a grade-enhancing DIY Postbacc this yr and wanted to ask if the following ugrad courses are advised: Neuroendocrinology, Membranes in Health&Disease, Medicinal Plants, Global Ecology, and The Microbial World. They're all upper level except for the microbio class.
I'm having a lot of trouble getting into closed genetics/cell bio courses, and not sure if ones from the plant science/eco departments will be seen the same. And I've taken Embryology, Developmental Bio, Evolutionary Bio, and Cell Physiology already this summer. Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it

Members don't see this ad.

I would not take Medicinal Plants or Global Ecology. They sound like a waste of money for what you need (which are rigorous classes). Not to mention, they may not even be classified as BCPM.

Reactions: 2 users
Which department teaches Global Ecology? Is it a 'for majors' class?

At my undergrad, ecology was an upper division biology class that had genetics and calc as prerequisites. Not overly relevant to med school, but definitely science.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Which department teaches Global Ecology? Is it a 'for majors' class?

At my undergrad, ecology was an upper division biology class that had genetics and calc as prerequisites. Not overly relevant to med school, but definitely science.
Global Ecology is given to bio and eco majors from the ecology department. I think it will count as science but am considering how its rigor will be perceived.

Have you thought about Histology/Immunology? My friends who took those in undergrad said they were helpful in med school

Reactions: 1 user