DIY Trend Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CandH23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which URM community do you represent? That will be helpful for some of the pro's in here to answer your question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump! Just want to know if my trend will be interpreted as someone who's figured it out.
I know the MCAT will be hugely important in my success as an applicant considering my situation.

A 3.4+ will be fine; 3.5+ even better.

Hey everyone,

I posted this in the URM sub-forum as well, but I thought I would here too due to more traffic.

I am currently on a post bacc track to do about 73 credits at least at a 3.9 in the sciences.
I've already done 20 credits of repeats(classes I got C's beforehand in) to build my science fundamentals back up for the MCAT.

Recent grades(repeats)
Summer/Fall 16
Calc 1: A (4 year)
Calc 2: A (4 year)
Chem 1: A (CC)
Chem 2 lec/lab: B (smh) (CC)

I took some at cc because mine is 5 minutes away from my house and I work full time, so the evening classes worked out. There aren't any evening chem classes at my 4 year(alma mater) during the summer.

Then for the spring I enrolled in non-formal post bacc program at my 4 year(no certificate or degree given).

Spring 17
Orgo 1 : A (4 year)

Now, I'm starting to take all new upper level sciences (53 credits) before the next app cycle. I started pretty low on the GPA scale and after everything is done I'll have a little bit above a 3.0 for cgpa and sgpa. The math is working against me at this point. I want to avoid SMPs due to their high risk, cost, having to apply and get in, do well, then wait to apply to med school. Also, the relative easiness of doing a DIY close to home. I graduated back in 2013, so I want to put my head down and grind now to apply next year. My question to you all is, what type of GPA would I be seen at by the admissions committee when considering my trend if I so succeed at it? I believe my GPA would be misleading due to the most recent grades.

Thanks in advance!

Is my Post bacc length sufficient?

Yes.

Will a strong MCAT solidify my new track of grades?

Yes. In fact, a strong MCAT is required for reinventors. shoot for a 510+ for the state school, and 513+ oforall others. For DO, 508+

Thank you for responding @Goro, I appreciate it. So should I stop at the 49 or get to 56 credits? I will be aiming for at least a 515.
If I can do solely MCAT and clinical this spring, that would be ideal. It will determine if I can go full time clinical work or not.
Just as a reminder the calc 1 to orgo 1 were repeats, but I needed them to build my science foundation again. It paid off though because I am no longer scared of chem!
With the B in the last semester, in retrospect, taking two more courses in the Spring might do you some good.

With the B in the last semester, in retrospect, taking two more courses in the Spring might do you some good.
Got it, so get A's in those and be done with the classes?