dlc: Osteopathy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Henderson,
First of all, thank you very much for replying to my last couple of messages. Just to remind you of my numbers, my overall gpa is 3.80, science gpa is 3.77, MCAT: VR 7 PS 8 BS 10 WS R, plenty of research and volunteer experience, Phi Beta Kappa, Magna Cum Laude... I took your advice about considering osteopathic schools and I sent in an AACOMAS application last weekend. I applied to only five schools (New York, Philadelphia, Lake Erie, Nova Southeastern, and San Francisco) in addition to the fourteen allopathic schools that I have already applied to. My question this time concerns what would be the best thing for me to do in the next year. I would like to work at a real job (my degree is in chemistry) but I realize that a lot of companies do not want to hire someone that they know is only going to be there temporarily. I also considered working in a hospital but from reading some of your replies to other questions, you advise against this. Why exactly would this be a terrible way to spend a year? In addition, I am taking into consideration the possibility that I will not get into a school this year either and am starting to prepare to take the MCAT once again. Therefore, it is possible that I will have two years out of school. My main question is: what do reapplicants normally do in the year between school? Should I pursue a real job, which seems impossible at the moment, or pursue a small job that will allow me plenty of time to study for the MCAT (in case) while volunteering my time in hospitals, clinics, community service events...I would like to opt for the latter but this means less financial security. Any advice you can offer will help me a lot!
dlc

Members don't see this ad.

Good to hear from you again. Hopefully some of the osteopaths on this new forum that we've moved to can answer some of your questions about osteopathy too!

The reason I question working in a hospital is, frankly, the jobs you can get with a chemistry, biology degree with a bs in bio or chem are not the greatist. In your situation, I'd try to get a job consistant with your degree in the meantime. It might be hard, I know, to get a good job and be up-front, but look around and maybe you can get on somewhere in a research lab and get a letter of recommendation out of it too.

Hopefully some readers in this forum will have more answers to your questions too!

Best wishes!

Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net