DMD vs DDS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Got_Dentist?

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats the difference btw DMD and DDS?

Members don't see this ad.

With the DMD, you sound like you're an MD specializing in Dentistry but with a DDS you're a surgeon which is really really cool :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
It's the same. Some universities choose to give you the latin degree DMD, and some choose to give you english degree DDS.

nev said:
no difference at all

Actually philisophies behind the degrees vary quite a bit, historically speaking. Practically, though, there's not too much difference. A very broad generalization may be that DMD students have more of a medical-based education and DDS students have more of a traditional education (though those meanings are arguable, too. :))

There's actualy a pretty good old thread about this somewhere on SDN...

Audio said:
With the DMD, you sound like you're an MD specializing in Dentistry but with a DDS you're a surgeon which is really really cool :rolleyes:

Hey, when did u apply for dental schools? I also applied for UPEN, but I haven't heard from them.

DMD : doctor of dental medicine

DDS : doctor of dental surgery(<--- if u wanna be a surgeon, pick this one :D )

jpollei said:
Actually philisophies behind the degrees vary quite a bit, historically speaking....A very broad generalization may be that DMD students have more of a medical-based education and DDS students have more of a traditional education.

I'd be interested to see how much literature you can find to substantiate this. I've never found anything to suggest any difference has ever existed between the two degrees.

jpollei said:
Actually philisophies behind the degrees vary quite a bit, historically speaking. Practically, though, there's not too much difference. A very broad generalization may be that DMD students have more of a medical-based education and DDS students have more of a traditional education (though those meanings are arguable, too. :))

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Absolutely no practical difference between the two. I think that western schools like DMD and southern schools like DDS. Either way I would be happy just to get in a school this year........don't really care which ending to my name I get.

geckel said:
Absolutely no practical difference between the two. I think that western schools like DMD and southern schools like DDS. Either way I would be happy just to get in a school this year........don't really care which ending to my name I get.
what about the north and the east : p