DMO possible through FAP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PalmettoGuy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

I'll be starting Med School next year and am interested (but not set) on the possiblility of spending some time as a DMO after graduation. I am not particularly interested in HPSP, but (as of right now) am open to the idea of FAP after graduation.

DMO would be my first choice, but I would also enjoy working with a Marine Batallion. Is it possible to obtain a DMO slot as a residency trained physician via FAP? Or are DMO positions only available for non-residency trained GMO type physicians.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

During the fall before you finish residency you would have to apply for a DMO position through the JSGMESB. At that time you could also talk with the non-surgical specialty detailer and ask what there plans are for you. Tell them your preference.

I've never seen what you are describing before. I suspect they would want you to complete a utilization tour first.

During the fall before you finish residency you would have to apply for a DMO position through the JSGMESB. At that time you could also talk with the non-surgical specialty detailer and ask what there plans are for you. Tell them your preference.

I've never seen what you are describing before. I suspect they would want you to complete a utilization tour first.

Your scenario is plausible. A utilization tour may not be needed by graduation time. With the migration of "GMO" billets to PC types, a DMO tour could count as a utilization tour.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way to do a tour as a DMO before residency without taking an HPSP scholarship?

Is it just me or wouldn't it be more financially wise to take the scholarship if u wanted to be a dmo? any comment navy fp??

Yeah, I realize that but I don't want to lock myself into somthing 4 years down the road when things can change. Whether it be my goals or Navy Medicine.

Yeah, I realize that but I don't want to lock myself into somthing 4 years down the road when things can change. Whether it be my goals or Navy Medicine.

Here is a thought. half year hpsp. you apply for an internship. If you get what you want you sign and do your dmo tour. You don't or if things change, you walk. Just a thought.

Here is a thought. half year hpsp. you apply for an internship. If you get what you want you sign and do your dmo tour. You don't or if things change, you walk. Just a thought.
Wouldn't any amount of HPSP tie him in to an 8 year commitment? Maybe a short time active duty, but a whole long time in IRR?

Wouldn't any amount of HPSP tie him in to an 8 year commitment? Maybe a short time active duty, but a whole long time in IRR?

Yes, it would. I recognize the theoretical risk of call back, but the Navy still has no plans to do it.