DMU 2020 vs Texas Tech El Paso 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Belphegor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently accepted to DMU for the entering class of 2020 and was very much looking forward to starting my life outside of TX. I had just finished setting up the utilities at my new apartment in Des Moines when I received an e-mail from Texas Tech El Paso stating they had selected me from their waitlist but for their entering class of 2021, with a chance to start this summer if a seat opens. The e-mail said something about TMDSAS allowing schools to accept people from their waitlists for the next year's entering class due to problems from COVID-19.

I'm having some difficulty making a decision.

I really liked both schools and could see myself happy at both.

However, both schools have cons

DMU Cons:

1. I'll have to take out $230-250k in loans
2. Will have a harder time to get a residency in TX. They do offer a year-long clerkship in TX but only 5 student get it per year and they do a lottery system to see who gets it.
3. Far from family, friends, and SO.
4. Potentially harder to get into a competitive specialty, however I'm mainly interested in IM and DMU historically does good in IM matches.

El Paso Cons:
1. Waiting an additional year. Some of you may not think that's a big deal but I'm nearing 30 and have been out of school for almost 4 years. Waiting an additional year delays certain life goals, such as marriage and starting a family, as I don't want either of those until after residency.

What do y'all think? Stick with DMU or stay in TX and go to El Paso?

EDIT: retyping my post since half got deleted during the update

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’d definitely take the El Paso 2021 acceptance.

DMU is awesome, but still has that DO stigma along with the other negatives about going the DO route, like comlex and OMM . DMU will also be much more expensive(unless you got a big scholarship), so likely you won’t even be losing out on any money delaying medical school for one more year.

Also it might be nice to start medical school in 2021 when COVID is under better control and also you won’t be part of the first class to apply for residency with P/F Step 1.

I actually might be in a similar position to you, as right now I’m planning on going to DMU, but my in state MD WL school is considering the waitlist for 2021 positions too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

DMU is awesome, but still has that DO stigma along with the other negatives about going the DO route, like complex and OMM . DMU will also be much more expensive(unless you got a big scholarship), so likely you won’t even be losing out on any money delaying medical school for one more year.

Also it might be nice to start medical school in 2021 when COVID is under better control and also you won’t be part of the first class to apply for residency with P/F Step 1.

I actually might be in a similar position to you, as right now I’m planning on going to DMU, but my in state MD WL school is considering the waitlist for 2021 positions too.
It's nice to hear from a fellow DMU acceptee!

The tuition difference is huge!

El Paso's annual tuition is 18k per year vs DMU's 52k.

I forgot about COMLEX and having to learn OMM as a DO. I was actually interested in OMM so I didn't think of that as a con, but COMLEX for sure.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be willing to wait that extra year to stay in TX and have that tuition. I think you should choose Texas Tech El Paso for 2021.

Reactions: 1 users
Texas Tech.

MD > DO, and the deal is sweetened even further with the significantly cheaper tuition. Very easy choice imo (also a slightly older student here).

I was following your journey on various Texas MD threads and wanted to say congratulations for this opportunity! I am excited for you--you deserve this more than anyone else :)

What will you be doing during your gap year?

Reactions: 1 user
I was following your journey on various Texas MD threads and wanted to say congratulations for this opportunity! I am excited for you--you deserve this more than anyone else :)

What will you be doing during your gap year?

Thanks!

I’m not sure yet. I’ll most likely get a new job since I left my old one earlier this year. Try to earn money to pay for school to avoid taking out too many loans.

I was really hoping to go on vacation before starting med school but COVID messed that up. Now I might be able to do that if the COVID situation improves next year!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks!

I’m not sure yet. I’ll most likely get a new job since I left my old one earlier this year. Try to earn money to pay for school to avoid taking out too many loans.

I was really hoping to go on vacation before starting med school but COVID messed that up. Now I might be able to do that if the COVID situation improves next year!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Definitely go on vacation if CDC and local guidelines allow it! Will miss chatting with you in the DMU thread, but so happy you got into your state school! Those savings are no joke.

Definitely go on vacation if CDC and local guidelines allow it! Will miss chatting with you in the DMU thread, but so happy you got into your state school! Those savings are no joke.
I'm gonna miss chatting in the DMU thread too! I really loved that school.

DMU is awesome, but still has that DO stigma along with the other negatives about going the DO route, like complex and OMM . DMU will also be much more expensive(unless you got a big scholarship), so likely you won’t even be losing out on any money delaying medical school for one more year.

Do either of you two know why exactly your schools are doing or considering doing the deferred acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do either of you two know why exactly your schools are doing or considering doing the deferred acceptance?

For my school it’s not COVID related, since they had this option last year too. It’s a way for them to scoop up good applicants that just fell through the cracks and ended the cycle with 0 MD acceptances.

I'll paste what was in the e-mail. It's due to COVID-19.

"Due to current circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, we recognize the financial and emotional challenges that applicants are facing in the pursuit of a career in medicine. TMDSAS has permitted participating medical programs to extend a limited number of early offers to students from their wait list to fill next year's class. "

Texas Tech Lubbock is apparently doing it too. I saw on another TX school thread yesterday that two people received a deferred acceptance to Lubbock 1-2 weeks ago.

I'll paste what was in the e-mail. It's due to COVID-19.

"Due to current circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, we recognize the financial and emotional challenges that applicants are facing in the pursuit of a career in medicine. TMDSAS has permitted participating medical programs to extend a limited number of early offers to students from their wait list to fill next year's class. "

Texas Tech Lubbock is apparently doing it too. I saw on another TX school thread yesterday that two people received a deferred acceptance to Lubbock 1-2 weeks ago.

That’s considerate of them. Congrats on the acceptance !

Congratulations on the acceptance!! Really happy for you, and I hope you have a great year ahead!

I am so stoked for you! I have seen you throughout the Texas school forums this year and last year and was rooting for you from afar. I am so happy things worked out for you! You deserve it!

Hey! Just wanted to bump this thread and say THANK YOU for posting it. I have two early acceptances at CCOM and Foster and was really agonizing because I do love DO philosophy, but knew the cost issues as well. My case is even more of a no-brainer, and your choice was the obvious one to me. You and I will be classmates! I'll see you in July!

Congrats! You won’t regret your decision! If you have any questions at all about starting at Foster feel free to message me at anytime!

Forgot mention I got accepted into this year’s entering class, so I’m an MS1 right now.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Congrats! You won’t regret your decision! If you have any questions at all about starting at Foster feel free to message me at anytime!

Forgot mention I got accepted into this year’s entering class, so I’m an MS1 right now.

that's awesome that they bumped you up into this year's class!

i got accepted for next year and have a question about grading. ik it is p/f but is there any kind of ranking system, like the quartile ranges many schools have? thanks!

i got accepted for next year and have a question about grading. ik it is p/f but is there any kind of ranking system, like the quartile ranges many schools have? thanks!
Students on my interview day said no one really knows, but one office does keep track in case you're applying for a residency position that requires that info.

Congrats!

It’s basically like what the other poster said. They don’t share our ranking but after every exam they send us our score, the class median, the lowest score, and highest score. So, you can kinda get an idea of where you stand.

Also, can’t stress enough how great a true P/F is. I didn’t think it was that big of a deal but it truly does relieve so much stress for so many reasons. Best thing about it is that it cuts out all of the competitiveness. Just about everyone shares their resources, study guides, and study habits. We have a super collaborative group here!

Reactions: 3 users