DMU Apartment Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NDSTATE2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

3000 Grand - big building, fairly nice, has a gym and outdoor pool, more expensive than others around

The Imperial - directly across from the school, decent, DMU wireless available in building

There's also an older set of brick buildings that I can't remember the name of for the life of me right across from the school (next to the Imperial) that were fair, and probably the lowest price of the three.

I basically looked at those three and went with 3000 Grand, but many students live in each.

As far as a roommate, it can certainly be great if you get along well...study partner, company, and cuts down on costs. But getting along is the key.

I'm sure somebody in first or second year can provide more info...I'm a 4th year who's lived in Ankeny the last three years.

There's also an older set of brick buildings that I can't remember the name of for the life of me right across from the school (next to the Imperial) that were fair, and probably the lowest price of the three.

The big brick one is called Windsor Terrace--it's a huge complex, not sure how many apts, but it's a combo of old folks that have been here for 30 yrs, students, and some random people. Rent is mid 500s for a 1 bed, ($20 xtra for a garage spot) ~700 sq ft, wood floors, plenty of closet space...very antique (no dishwasher or central air, communal washer/dryer). But it's the quickest walk to the school (directly across the street) and you can't beat the price for the sq footage.

Can't find the # but am sure you can google it. I've been in these apts for 3 yrs and love it--much better than the dump I was in in West Des Moines during 1st year--the management is new and is much better than when i first moved in. waking up 10 min before class and running across the street is a luxury.

If you want a newer place with central air and stinky carpet, there's a few others like norse mentioned, but if you're ok with window units, washing your own dishes and having a little style, the WT is nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Flew up to Des Moines on Friday....sitting here watching the SB right now :D...checked out some apartments on Saturday and decided on the Four Seasons apartment complex...and I went ahead and put down a deposit. I just liked the fact that the complex was owned and managed by the same people (Dwain and his son)...and he was very friendly and honest. It wasn't even a 1 minute drive to the school...good luck in your search.

Revisiting the school with the family :clap: tomorrow morning

Don't they still give out the handbook for apartments to first years?? If so, that has a lot of good information in it. In my own opinion, get an apartment that is close to campus. Let's face it, parking often sucks, especially when the first and second years have an exam on the same day. In addition, Des Moines does not appear to know how to plow roads or, more importantly, sidewalks. 3000 grand was okay but a little too expensive when I last looked. The apartment I live in now I would not suggest (Four Seasons) because of crappy management. Finally, try to look for something that has leases for less than 12 months. That way, if you do get a roommate and want to kill them after only 4 months, you won't end up paying out the arse to move.

^May I ask whats wrong with the Four Seasons management?...I'm just wondering if I should change to another complex, the guy who owned the place seemed alright...thanks!

Apartments in downtown are pretty cool + close to dmu. few tht i looked into are Vine Street Lofts and Park Place condos. You can check out all the residential options in downtown dsm by going to downtowndesmoines.com and clicking on "i want to live here".

Reilly Grand right across the street from the DMU gym. Nice town homes (red brick, white siding) in front and pretty good apartments in the back of the property. They are not listed in the phone book, but there is a sign up front when one is available. 3215 Grand Ave. 900 for 2 bed 1.5 bath townhouse-water included, 700 for 2 bed 1 bath apartment-water and heat included. I love lving right across the street from school. :thumbup:

As a side note, for anyone not wanting to live right by school, I'd recommend you check out Ankeny. A few weeks ago there was a local news story that Ankeny has somewhere around 400 townhomes/condos for sale right now with more being built. There are also several apartment buildings around town.

So those of you looking at buying (which carries some risks in and of itself) would be able to find a nice place up here.

2 Bedroom Apartment for rent. Deck with BBQ allowed. Close to campus (5 minute walk). We are leaving b/c we just bought a house. Move in April. First month free along with possible subletting (until Aug 1). Central Air, Gas forced air. 675 per month plus utilities (Gas and Electric only). Laundry right across hall. Garage available for 50 per month. Clubhouse available with indoor and outdoor pool. Check out website for more info.
http://www.fourseasonsaptsdesmoines.com/fourseasonsII.htm

If interested email me at [email protected].