DMU Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ripulpancal2000

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before anyone decides to attent DMU, you should know that we have the worst clinical affairs of all medicals schools in the US. About half of the students at that school feel the same way. I have told the truth on all of my postings. I do have the correct info and I have been telling the truth about DMU. Its not fun traveling all over the country and sharing housing with several people and basically living out of a suitcase.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by ripulpancal2000
Before anyone decides to attent DMU, you should know that we have the worst clinical affairs of all medicals schools in the US. About half of the students at that school feel the same way. I have told the truth on all of my postings. I do have the correct info and I have been telling the truth about DMU. Its not fun traveling all over the country and sharing housing with several people and basically living out of a suitcase.

I was told that the hospitals where the medical students rotate at provide housing/amenities for them. Is this true? Or do students have to get together and find housing and share the rent? Is this what you mean?

Whether or not we have the worst clinical affairs is per perspective.... You can opt to go to be a part of the Ohio CORE and not have to move around....

The lottery system for rotations is not unique to DMU.... I know of a friend who decided to turn down DMU for Western for the sole purpose of staying in California and not have to move around.... Long story short, after matching she will be moving to Michigan next year.

Students in Ohio CORE, also have their own problem. Yes, the CORE is probably the best system around but assigning students to each site is always a problem and stressful thing for most of the students at participating universities.

For dollarbincommon, certain sites have certain amenities as to whether or not they will give you food, lodging, or transportation to your hospital/clinic.... I know that the sites in Michigan offer housing but you are with other students from other school. I know that if you decide to come to the Ohio CORE for a month or two, then they can provide you housing and food.... You have to realize that the sites are not about to give you the luxury of everything but they do try to accomodate. If they don't have housing for students, then you can ask for help to get contact information about housing options.... There is always ways.... I have to admit it's not always easy but the options are there.

:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
My brother attended DMU and he said rotations were great. He loved the fact that he could travel anywhere and everywhere. It depends on who you are and what you want out of those last two years. Your opinion is wonderful and all, but why do you keep insisiting on negatively influencing people that are thinking about going to DMU? maybe it's not the right place for you, but surely it's the right place for many others.

Thanks Popoy for your opinion. I apologize if I have been critizing DMU, but I feel applicants should know all the things than happened at that school for the past year so that they can make a better decision as to whether they should attend DMU.

Applicants have to realize that even though you may or may not get free housing and food, living out of a suitcase is not fun. Nor is sharing housing with several people. Not everyone are getting the rotations of their choice. In fact, some were very unhappy with their rotation sites. Applicants have to also realize that we do less rotations than other medical schools. There are not too many "great rotations" associated with this school, and only a few at this school can do these "great rotations".

You're right ripulpancal2000.... I'm sure other students are very thankful for your candidness. Reflecting back on going to Ohio CORE, I realize how I'm 100 times better off than most of our classmate as those "great rotations" you mentioned are available to me as I have the connections here....

It is very unfortunate but I also realize that our problems are not unique to us. The grass is always greener on the other side -- until you're put into that situation and it's how you handle those situation that makes or breaks your experience.

Case in point, there are other classmates of ours in the CORE and I've done similar rotations they have and yet I have gotten so much more from my rotation than similar classmates that went through the same rotation.... I hope that made sense.... I've received multiple letter of recs and had first assist in surgeries.... Simply because I interact well with my colleagues....

I guess, not everyone has the same experience overall and I do hope that those that read your postings would take as an advice from one perspective and make decisions for themselves....

Good luck in rotations.... :cool:

Popoy is always so insightful :) I've been told so many times that your experience is what you make of it.

Hope things will go better for you, ripulpancal2000. I disagree, however, that we do less rotations compared to other schools. I think what you meant was that we are given more elective time, which I see as a good thing. Some people opt to do research, take time off, do sub-I's, or rotate in fields they're interested in to get the exposure and letters that they need. Basically, how you allot your time is pretty much in your own hands. At least, that's the way it is for our class now, and we just received an expanded list of available rotation sites during Hospital Day last semester. So anyway, to reiterate, it's unfortunate that you have had such a bad experience, but it's not just you, it's not just DMU, and there are people who feel that they are getting what they want out of this school.