1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

DMU Class of 2011 Students

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by Dr_Feelgood, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    If any of the CPMS students are looking to buy a home in the DM area. I have listed a townhome for a friend in the classified area of SDN. The townhome is in WDM in the Jordan Creek area. If you cannot find the information in the classified thread, PM me and I will give you her email address.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gustydoc

gustydoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Podiatrist
    I've got a home listed on the classifieds as well less than three miles from the school. check it out! Even if the home I have doesn't fit what you are looking for, I would suggest you incoming students strongly consider buying a home while in Des Moines. My mortgage payment was less than the rent at 3000 Grand apartments and all the interest is tax deductible. By the time you graduate and sell your house you have essentially lived rent free for 3yrs and that means you saved between $24-30,000. Good luck as guys head to Iowa. Feel free to PM me anytime if you have any questions!

4. Medico dos pes

Medico dos pes CPMS Class of 2011
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    Hey Gustydoc,
    I checked out the classifieds but didn't see your ad. All i saw was the one feelgood posted and two places for rent. Is it still there?

5. gustydoc

gustydoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Podiatrist
    Yeah it is like the seventh listing down in the miscellaneous category. The title is "home for sale really close to campus". Take a look it is a 4 bed 2bath house and it has worked out great for me. I'd love to see it go to another DPM student.

6. gustydoc

gustydoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Podiatrist
    oh, I thought you were talking about the DMU classifieds.:laugh: I have it listed on the SDN classifieds now too.

7. Medico dos pes

Medico dos pes CPMS Class of 2011
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    Are there any areas in Des Moines that aren't the best to live in, bad neighborhoods?

8. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Des Moines is a small time. There are areas of crime but nothing like Detroit. If you are looking for crime stats check out realtor.com

http://www.homefair.com/Find_a_Place/Cityprofile/index.asp

Two great sites for school ratings are:

http://www.greatschools.net/

and

http://www.schoolmatters.com/

There are definitely nicer parts of town and nicer schools and older parts of town and not so great schools.

9. discusdan

discusdan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I dont know about every part of town but overall the Des Moines area is pretty safe. We live in West Des Moines and it is a very safe and nice area of greater Des Moines.

10. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    I lived in West Des Moines and it is a very nice part of town. But I honestly think that there are better places to live. If you live in WDM you deal with a lot of traffic. Areas like Altoona, Ankeny, or Johnston offer just as nice neighborhoods and less traffic.

11. discusdan

discusdan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Feelgood....you really have something against West Des Moines don't you?:) Once again....since they finished the extra lane on the free way from about 63rd into town the traffic is not that bad.

12. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    I was just there today. The traffic stinks. I'm not just talking about the communte I'm talking about everyday. Have you ever been up to Ankeny? You would see what I'm talking about. The city is much smarter b/c they have higher speed limits and more 4 lane roads.

13. discusdan

discusdan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yea I've been to Ankeny. Didn't really notice a difference but then again we are very happy in West Des Moines so I wasn't really paying attention. I have a classmate that lives out by Ankeny and it takes him about the same amount of time to get to school as me. As for every day driving in town I have no idea because I really dont get out and about that often to tell a difference between the different parts of the Des Moines area. You're still just bitter about those Valley High School students and the teenagers at Jordan Creek Town Center. We like living by Jordan Creek actually. They have the best play area for kids around.

14. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    You've never been to Polk City. There are almost as many parks as there are people. Plus no traffic or crime so you don't have to watch your kids like a hawk. It is hands down the best area for kids to play. :thumbup:

P.S. I do hate those high school kids. But my newest pet peeve in WDM is everyone is on the dang phone. That is why I the traffic stinks, no one is paying attention.

15. discusdan

discusdan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I actually have been to Polk City 3-4 times. I fish on Big Creek and Saylorville and go by the Bait Shop in Polk City to buy my bait. Polk City is a nice little town. Kind of far from school though isn't it?

16. gustydoc

gustydoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Podiatrist
    you guys both have it wrong. Downtown Des Moines is where its at. My neighborhood is safe and I live right across from Grey's lake. The best part is that it takes me less than 5 min to get to school.

17. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    It is a 20 to 25 minute drive but I don't hit any traffic until I get into Des Moines aroun MLK and Euchild. It is nice when we are at Broadlawns or the VA b/c it is a 10 to 15 drive.

The biggest flaw I see about the city is they have no grocery store, and very little commerical development. I guess this can be see as good and bad b/c I think Jordan Creek is too much commerical development.

18. densmore22

densmore22 Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Man, you guys will argue about ANYTHING!!!

Feelgood, you're still supposed to show me your magical ways. I'm supposed to take over your spot at DMU as "that guy" when you leave.

19. PodWif

10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    So these are nice areas to look in to but what about neighborhoods or cities to avoid? Any advice in that regards to the DMU 2011er's?

20. densmore22

densmore22 Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I live downtown and that's supposed to be a "sketchy" area, but I haven't had any negative experiences. Out by Drake isn't the best area either due a poorer population, but no place is really "bad" here in my experience. But I came from a pretty big city where you had to watch yourself all the time. The rule goes south of I-235 and you'll be ok. I'm moving out to West Des Moines next year and that's where a lot of the students that are married/kids/etc live, a lot of students also live right by the school. Hope that helps.

21. jonwill

jonwill Podiatrist
    Podiatrist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Get ready for a marathon. And concerning marriage, make sure that you are on the same page before it all starts. The spouse of the student needs to be completely willing to let the student do what they need to do to get by the first few years. Most likely, that means that you won't be seeing your spouse much! We had our second child on a Friday and it was back to school on Monday for me. That had to be rough on her!

My wife made some good friends at church that she spent a ton of time with those first few years. I was very thankful for that because it made it a lot easier to be in the library studying knowing that my wife wasn't completely miserable at home.

You'll hear a lot of horror stories but the bottom line is that it is rough but totally doable.

22. PodWif

10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    My husband has done a good job prepping me of this so far. I've been preparing myself to not expect to see him really at all the first 2 years and after reading alot of posts on this forumn it sounds like residency will be the same way.

That's why I'm hoping I can make friends quickly seems how there won't be any family around or him around. Luckily we have had some partial prep also because I work in accounting so for me I'm never home the first week or two of each month and especially at the end of each quarter and he has had to be by himself, so now it will be reversed and for a longer period. But he was and is always such a great trooper when I'm working long hours, so I am determined to be one also. I will just tell myself it's only for 4 years and then hopefully he can get a residency by some of our family, and if not it's only another 3 years. Knowing there is an end in sight will help alot.

But I'm really proud of him and want him to do his best, so I'm prepared to be solo for alittle while. We'll just have to get a house so I can have house projects to work on. :D

23. PodWif

10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Thanks this is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to find out, because we were seeing a lot of house online for great prices but they were North of 235 and looking at the nearby home values I was concerned that it might not be the hottest neighborhood and maybe it would be hard to sell after school was finished.

Any other pearls of information like this or other neighborhood, housing tips would be gratefully accepted.

24. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    I think that any student that is looking to buy a home must take into consideration not only the area, the school district, and resale. If there was a chance that anyone has kids that are school age I would never live in the Des Moines Public School District.

25. gustydoc

gustydoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Podiatrist
    To say all of the public schools are bad is a pretty broad generalization. There are good and bad schools, but the really bad schools are some of the high schools. I wouldn't have any problem sending my kids to some of the better elementary schools.

26. jdikis

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Des Moines Public Schools are okay. I went to them my whole life and never had a problem. The best high schools in the Des Moines area are Roosevelt (Des Moines), Dowling (West Des Moines), Valley (West Des Moines), Johnston, Ankeny, Waukee...basically anything West and/or North of DMU have good schools (K-12).

27. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    You named 1 school in Des Moines proper. I'm basing my comments on my wife's experience and other teachers we have spoken with. Also, they get horrible marks when you look only. They are well below the 4th, 8th and 12th grade marks compared to the rest of the state and nation.