DMU Class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ISUBird100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else here will be goin' to Des Moines next year? I'm excited to meet everyone and finally begin this journey.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year student at DMU, if any of you have any questions feel free to message me and I'll do my best to answer your questions. Congratulations to everyone for being accepted to the greatest podiatry school in the country!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I have an interview on Dec 11 and was just wondering if any of you could tell me how your interview process went. I'm getting really nervous about mine as DMU is where I would really like to go. My stats weren't amazing so I'm feeling nervous that I have to have an amazing interview to get accepted. Thanks for any help!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I have an interview on Dec 11 and was just wondering if any of you could tell me how your interview process went. I'm getting really nervous about mine as DMU is where I would really like to go. My stats weren't amazing so I'm feeling nervous that I have to have an amazing interview to get accepted. Thanks for any help!
i interviewed a few weeks ago and it wasn't bad at all! My interview only lasted like 15-20 mins and both the student and the professor who interviewed me were very friendly and not intimidating at all (although the students and faculty who interview you vary). I just got my acceptance last week, so don't stress too much and you'll be fine :)

@Leira23 Congrats on your acceptance! Are you definitely coming to DMU then?

@Leira23 Congrats on your acceptance! Are you definitely coming to DMU then?
Thank you! And I haven't made my final decision yet since I still have a few more interviews scheduled but will know soon.

Mine was also very laid back and I never really felt like they had preconceived notions about me based on my MCAT, GPA, etc.Remember that they already like you if they invited you at all, so just be genuine. It also never hurts to review some of the standout facilities at DMU, such as the anatomy lab or the human performance lab, to convey your enthusiasm when the time comes for you to ask questions. Good luck and you'll be fine!

Oh and also, don't forget to check out the interview feedback surveys under the resources section on here, I used those to prepare for my interview and every single question they asked me was one I saw on the feedback surveys, so I felt very prepared! (all of the questions they asked me were behavioral ones and not about my application just FYI).

Thanks so much for the replies! I definitely feel much better about it now lol

I'm a first year student at DMU, if any of you have any questions feel free to message me and I'll do my best to answer your questions. Congratulations to everyone for being accepted to the greatest podiatry school in the country!
Do y'all get curves or exams ever or no? Jw

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted my deposit! I am really excited!

Is anyone going to the event on March 27?

Reactions: 1 users
Just submitted my deposit! I am really excited!

Is anyone going to the event on March 27?

Congrats! I think I'm going to check it out. It'll be nice to look over the facilities again without the stress I had during the interview process.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you happen to know if any of the apartments near campus are pet friendly or not? (small dog)

Do y'all get curves or exams ever or no? Jw

No, not at all. We are held to same standards as the DOs. We get the exact same exams and grading scale as them.

Do you happen to know if any of the apartments near campus are pet friendly or not? (small dog)

There are places within 10 minute walk from campus that accept dogs.

@Pod Zilla @SandersCalc When do most students start lookin' for places to live? Also, do you have any recommendations on places to live at?

Honestly, this is entirely up to you. I have classmates that moved here back in May, I think it all depends on your circumstances. As far as recommendations on where to live: many first year students stay close by so they end up living right next door or across the street from school. I'm not right next to the school but I'm not too far either. But if you don't have a car or don't want to bring one, living right next to the school is definitely doable because the grocery store is about two blocks away and Ingersoll has all the entertainment you'll need. If not, you can convince your friends to go downtown in their car. :)

Last edited:
See you guys at DMU next Fall! I'm extremely excited to begin my journey there!

Thank you! I am from Texas.
Nice! I am from Texas too and will be joining you. I wonder if we interviewed together, there were a lot of Texas people on my interview for DPM and DO.

DMU was the first school I had the pleasure of interviewing with and the first school I was admitted to. However, I was so impressed with school following my interview that I am debating whether or not I should interview at the other programs (SCPM, Kent, WesternU, etc.) If anyone has interviewed at other programs, were there any qualities that DMU lacked in comparison to other programs - based on your first impressions? In addition, those who were accepted to other programs, was there a significant difference in the amount of scholarship awarded?

There are many pros to attending DMU (the facilities, first time board pass rates, etc); but, I encourage you to interview at other programs. It'll widen your perspective and cue you into or confirm qualities you're looking for in a program. For example the clinic experience at DMU differs from that of schools in larger cities. In regards to scholarship awarded, I personally was awarded 2-5x my DMU scholarship at other schools, so I would say there is a difference. However, it is important to keep in mind that DMU has one of the lowest tuition amounts and a low cost of living, which often times makes DMU more affordable than other schools with higher costs of living. I hope this helps!

Last edited:
DMU was the first school I had the pleasure of interviewing with and the first school I was admitted to. However, I was so impressed with school following my interview that I am debating whether or not I should interview at the other programs (SCPM, Kent, WesternU, etc.) If anyone has interviewed at other programs, were there any qualities that DMU lacked in comparison to other programs - based on your first impressions? In addition, those who were accepted to other programs, was there a significant difference in the amount of scholarship awarded?
DMU was also my 1st interview as well, I have now interviewed at 6 schools total and have my NYC interview tomorrow. I ultimately did not choose DMU for a few reasons. It was a great school with high board pass rates, up to date technology and facilities, however I did not feel it was the right "fit" for me, however (I'm 22 and single, most of the students I met were all older and/or married with/without kids). I come from a bigger town (over 1 million) so wasn't sure I'd like living in a smaller town and state, I didn't think the clinical experiences at DMU were what I was looking for (slower and less pathology and such than other schools I've been too), also the residency match rates were lower than other schools I've interviewed at (both cali schools had 100% I believe), and I come from a city with a diverse population and Des Moines and the majority of students I encountered were mainly caucasian (nothing wrong with that as I'm half white myself), but diversity is something I enjoy and I want to get my practice seeing patients of every culture and walk of life if possible since I hope to one day spend my career serving a diverse population as well. Plus, I'm from South TX so the idea of Iowa winters wasn't comforting to me. haha. overall DMU was a great program though, (and almost everyone else I interviewed with seemed to have it as one of their top schools,) but it just wasn't the great program for ME. Hope this helps, if you have any other questions about the other programs feel free to pm me (I've been to all except Scholl and Barry) :)
I also got a $5K Scholarship there btw

I'd also like to add that each school has their own method for determining the scholarship awarded. For example, CSPM uses your MCAT+GPA. While, Temple weighs more heavily on your MCAT and considers the ranking of your undergrad institution. Barry takes into account a number of other factors (short essays at end of interview day, personality/grit surveys, etc.). And so on..

I'd also like to add that each school has their own method for determining the scholarship awarded. For example, CSPM uses your MCAT+GPA. While, Temple weighs more heavily on your MCAT and considers the ranking of your undergrad institution. Barry takes into account a number of other factors (short essays at end of interview day, personality/grit surveys, etc.). And so on..

That must be why I didn't get a scholarship at Barry hahaha

I saw that the Scholl people were trying to start a Facebook page for the c/0 2019. Anybody here interested in getting a Facebook page started?

I'm also looking for a good place to live. I wouldn't mind trying to find an apartment with another person if anybody is interested in that.

I'm also looking for a good place to live. I wouldn't mind trying to find an apartment with another person if anybody is interested in that.

In a few more months you will have access to our Pulse intranet and on there there will be a classified section where you can also post to find roommates. I would wait until then. There's no hurry in getting here. Enjoy yourself until then. And congrats on your acceptance!

Anyone going to second look interested in sharing a hotel room? PM if interested.