DMU info needed!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by muonwhiz, Feb 7, 2001.

1. muonwhiz

muonwhiz Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hello! I have an interview scheduled at DMU for 2/26. I would love to hear from students who have been interviewed, accepted or have attended there. I would specifically like to have your impressions of:
    1. The friendliness and approachability of the interviewers, staff and faculty (not just in interview situations).
    2. how each of you has experienced living in Des Moines.
    3. How long after you interviewed did you find out whether acceped or not? How were you notified?
    4. how diverse was your class in terms of the regions of country that students came from, age, ethnicity and former jobs or professions?
    5. how well did your class cooperate with each other?
    6. any other info you want to give me!
    Thanks alot, your comments are important!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kidterrific

kidterrific Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey - email me (if you haven't already). I'll spill the goods!

------------------
    --
    KidT
    [email protected]

4. Kansai

Kansai Member
    10+ Year Member

Congrats on getting an interview at DMU. I am a 2nd year student there. I think our class is pretty diverse in terms of background, geographic locale and age. I have been pleasantly surprised with Des Moines as a place to live. I came from the D.C. area, so I had limited expectations. You really don't have alot of free time, but there is plenty to do with the little you have. I like DMU and feel pretty at home here. Sure, there are things I'd like to change and things I don't like, but on the average I'm pretty happy. My best advice for your interview is just to relax and be yourself. You'll probably get some direct OMM questions, so really know why Osteopathic Medicine is for you. Otherwise, my interview was really low key and conversational. Be sure to ask any questions you may have and to look critically at the school as a place you'll be for at least 2 years. Good luck and I'm sure you'll do well!

Stef

5. Kansai

Kansai Member
    10+ Year Member

Just realized I didn't answer all your questions...

Our class doesn't seem overly competitive and everyone works together well. There are always the "gunners" that are ruthless and will do most anything to get ahead, but they are the minority.

I received my acceptance within about 3 weeks from my interview. That was a few years ago, so I'm not sure what they're doing now. I'm betting it will still be fairly quick.

Stef

6. muonwhiz

muonwhiz Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the info Stef-- but now you have my curiosity roused. What exactly do you not like about the school or feel could be improved?

7. Kansai

Kansai Member
    10+ Year Member

Well, let's see...it really depends on the day! Today I'm not liking our Nutrition class.

Seriously, what I really meant by my comment earlier was that there will be things you dislike about any school. My gripes are pretty minor. One thing I would change if given the opportunity would be to offer more 3rd & 4th year rotation slots in Des Moines. This is currently a hot issue, as there are always more students that want to stay in town than there are slots. For many people this is not an issue, as they want to get outta here ASAP. If you have a family, it's something to consider.

Since you asked, I also wish our school year wasn't the longest of the D.O. schools! They are changing this for next year, so I guess it's a moot point. As I said before, I'm pretty happy here and I think my education is great.

Stef