DMU letters of rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pappy846

MS-.8 KCUMB 2011
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello...

I'm about to send in DMU's secondary...and the letters of rec requirements include a physician letter...no problem got that...and one from the pre-health COMMITTEE?...one from just the advisor will NOT fulfill the requirement.

wtf...I went to a small school with only a pre-med advisor. I got all my letters stored through interfolio and getting more letters from science faculty over the summer would delay my app by a LONG time.

Any advice besides I should have prepared better?...hmm.

thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

pappy846 said:
Hello...

I'm about to send in DMU's secondary...and the letters of rec requirements include a physician letter...no problem got that...and one from the pre-health COMMITTEE?...one from just the advisor will NOT fulfill the requirement.

wtf...I went to a small school with only a pre-med advisor. I got all my letters stored through interfolio and getting more letters from science faculty over the summer would delay my app by a LONG time.

thanks all.

I think if you contact DMU and tell them that you don't have a pre-med committee but instead just one pre-med advisor and see what they think. You can also tell them what they think is the best for you. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help you with these questions. Good luck

I don't know if it's changed in the past year, but I didn't send them a letter from a pre-med committee or even a pre-med advisor. I just substituted professors in there. I'm almost certain your pre-med advisor will do just fine. Call to ensure. The admissions office at DMU is very friendly.

Members don't see this ad :)
pappy846 said:
Hello...

thanks all.

From their website.

The following letters are required:

One letter that details your exposure to medicine. This can come from a physician (D.O. or M.D.), a nurse, or volunteer coordinator. The letter needs to describe your exposure to patients and your ability to perform in a medical setting. It can reflect shadowing, volunteer, or work experience.

AND either of the following:

Two academic letters written by college science professors who have instructed you in their classes. We only accept letters from instructors of biology/chemistry/physics; letters from social science (e.g. psychology, sociology, etc.) or math professors will not count toward this requirement. OR One pre-med or academic committee letter that includes the names and departments of the committee members.

Humm how are you supposed to know if thats what the doctor put in the letter?? Like it's not like we're writing them and can guarantee that information is in there!! I hope my Dr. put those specifics in!

Just tell the Dr. what they expect to hear about in the letter. If he/she's writing a letter for you, then I'm sure they'll be more than willing to do what's necessary. Hell, they would most likely be thankful, since it'll give them something to focus on.

I provided my letter writers with additional information pertaining to me in order to help them write an even stronger letter.

PleaseMiami said:
Humm how are you supposed to know if thats what the doctor put in the letter?? Like it's not like we're writing them and can guarantee that information is in there!! I hope my Dr. put those specifics in!

DMU emails you a website to go to with information about the letters and what needs to be in them. You print out a copy of that, highlight the relevant areas, and give that to the doctor along with a stamped and addressed envelope for mailing. That's the right way to do it. If you go blindly, rushing around and asking for LORs without knowing what they want first, then you don't look very prepared. You might still get in, though.

yeah its really hard, i dont know what to do b/c each college has suggestions as to what the recommendors should write about. Like my DO reference he cant comment on how I interact with patients b.c I was not allowed to shadow him.

Accoriding to the University of Wisconsin Hospital ONLY MEDICAL STUDENTS ARE ALLOWED TO SHADOW accdrg to HIPAA regualations!

Has anyione else encountered this barrier. I submitted this DOs letter anyhow, because i cant find another DO who will let me shadow until later August and cant wait hat long to complete my file

Also they dont hink we are just sitting around and are going to contact our letter writters now and ask them to write specifically what they ask. Most of us SDners letters have been waiting on some online rec service i bet. We cant touch them or make suggestions anymore!!!

erghhh...frustrating!