SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

DMU questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by eastcoastgal, Apr 20, 2000.

1. eastcoastgal

eastcoastgal New Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Bethesda, MD 20814
    I have an interview at DMU in May. I have searched on the DMU website for the answers to my questions but I have not had any luck.

1) Is there a specific place where you do your second two years of school. Can students choose to go anywhere in the country to do their clinical rotations or are there specific hospitals the university is affiliated with?

2) I have not shadowed a D.O. Should I do so before my interview?

3) What is living in Des Moines like? I'm from the midwest but have grown accustomed to urban east coast living.

I applied rather late. I didn't get my supplemental application in until March so I was suprised by the invitation for interview. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreiciated.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. scoren

scoren Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 8, 1999
    Des Moines, IA
    >I have an interview at DMU in May.

Congrats on your interview! I think that even though you applied late in the game, you probably have a pretty good shot since I've heard they screen the applications pretty well before inviting prospective students.

>> 1) Is there a specific place where you do your second two years of school. Can students choose to go anywhere in the country to do their clinical rotations or are there specific hospitals the university is affiliated with?

The University has affilations with certain hospitals. During your 3rd year you are limited to these hospitals for your rotations, but you have much more freedom to choose during your 4th year. You will also rotate through a clinic during your third year. The rotation sites change each year, but the book the school gave me on the day of my interview listed many of possible areas to rotate during 3rd/4th years.

>>2) I have not shadowed a D.O. Should I do so before my interview?

I would.

>> 3) What is living in Des Moines like? I'm from the midwest but have grown accustomed to urban east coast living.

There is a place on the DMU website about what it's like living in Des Moines. If you have any specific questions feel free to send me an email and I'll try to help out if I can.

Scott

[This message has been edited by scoren (edited 04-21-2000).]

4. vmac

vmac Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 25, 1999
    Kansas
    Hi

1) Rotations are set up at affiliated hospitals around the nation, although most are in the midwest and east. Be prepared to move around.

2) DO letter of rec is not required, but recommended at DMU. I shadowed an MD for several hours and he wrote me an excellent letter. It worked for me, but I would recommend that you go with a DO rec.

3) Des Moines is pretty small, if you are used to a large city.

5. Kansai

Kansai Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 1, 1998
    Albany, New York
    Hi-

I'm a 1st year at DMU and am actually enjoying living in Des Moines. I came here from the Washington DC area, so I was worried. It's been a pleasant surprise. First off, you don't have alot of time to worry about what you don't have. Next, it doesn't take longer than 20 min to drive anywhere here. People in my neighborhood even leave their doors unlocked sometimes (not me!).

Good luck at your interview. The fact that you've been invited means they're interested. My interview was really low-key and conversational, not stressful at all. I'm sure you'll have a similar experience!

Stef

p.s. Definitely shadow a D.O.!!! I see from your profile you're in Bethesda. I shadowed Dr. Philip Peacock (D.O. Family Practice) in Manassas, VA. If you're struggling to find a D.O., he might be an option (long drive!). Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Kansai (edited 04-25-2000).]