DMU third and fourth year

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Wannabe Doc, Jan 18, 2001.

1. Wannabe Doc

Wannabe Doc Member

I was just accepted into DMU, and the 3rd and 4th years there are a little non traditional. The clinical years are usually spent in other satelite hospitals around the country. I have interviewed at other schools, and at this moment DMU is my only acceptance. I just wanted some advise about this program, and if there are other similar programs. Do the students get adequate clinical training?

thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kidterrific

kidterrific Senior Member

First off, congratulations on getting in!

Second, let me just say that while some students may like the 'freedom' of being able to choose the hospitals in which to do their residencies, some don't. Some feel they shouldn't be sent packing and leave to other states (especially those with families). I, for one, really liked the opportunity to return to my home state of Michigan for my third and fourth years. The third year must be at one of their hospitals (which are many bound in areas such as Illinois, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and (I think) Ohio. I was told that the fourth year can be "anywhere you want to go, if you can clear it with the hospital." Someone told me that they liked that because it allowed them to go and study in the hospitals that they planned to do their rotations in (as well as make vital connections). You'll even hear that "someone got a residency @ Hopkins hospital" doing that.

Many people will tell you that it is good and bad. Most will hopefully agree that it matters what hospital you pick because you learn your most during this time. I remember someone telling me that most hospitals 'aren't teaching hospitals' and that the doctors 'don't really care,' but other DMU students argued this. I tend to stick with the philosophy that you get out what you put in. Check out some prior postings:
    http://www.studentdoctor.net/bbs/Forum5/HTML/000616.html

And the big debate.... http://www.studentdoctor.net/bbs/Forum5/HTML/000995.html

Pick a good teaching hospital known to produce great doctors and submit your picks for rotations! I hope you find what you are looking for.

Good luck! Remember - study 'till you puke. Then wipe your mouth off and study some more.

------------------
    --
    KidT
    [email protected]

4. docflight2

docflight2 Junior Member

I graduated from UOMHS (now DMU) a few years ago and I went through the whole core hospital/clinic rotation. It is unique, but can be a TREMENDOUS advantage. That is the way you should look at it. The core hospitals are quite good- you will do medicine, surgery, anesthesiology, and an elective I believe. Core clinic is the same- there are clinics available that are outstanding! I still keep in contact with the people I worked with- it was an incredible experience. Then, to top it all off, you have the ability to go to any hospital (if approved) and finish the rest of your required rotations. Some will go back to there local town and work with friends and have a good time- it only hurts you come boards time and residency matching time. You can use your elective time and do trauma at the best trauma center, do cardiology at the heart center, etc... Set up the best rotations you can AND spend time at the hospital program where you'd like to do your internship. The flexibility of the fourth year rotations is a great advantage if used appropriately. Two classmates of mine did Johns Hopkins residencies- both Internal Medicine, one did an Nephrology fellowship, the other a geriatrics fellowhsip and both were Chief residents. Three of my classmates are in Radiology, one in Heme/Onc at the Cleveland Clinic... the system can't be too bad. Sorry this was long.

5. Wannabe Doc

Wannabe Doc Member

thanks for your input, i really appreciate it. I do plan on taking advantage of it if i go there, but i personally like more structure.

6. docflight2

docflight2 Junior Member

There is structure to the 3rd and 4th year process when it comes to the required rotations- the rest (ie electives) can be tailored to your particular interests/goals. As long as you know that up front you'll be better off for it. Good luck!

7. fmfcorpsman

fmfcorpsman Member

I am a current DO student at DMU and can tell you that the 3 & 4th year setup is rewarding. The third year is spent in a hospital set up by the school, and a clinic set up by the school. You do need to set up 4? months of required electives the third year. The thought of not having a structured program is a fear that I had when I came here. My fear is definately subsided. I am looking forward to setting up my rotations. This gives you a couple advantages. The biggest is that you can feel out the residency program that you were thinking of applying to, the second is that you can meet physicians in different communities and get your name around. I have no idea about how the match works behind the scenes but it must be helpful to be able to know an have worked with the people who are going to be making the decisions regarding your residency.

8. fmfcorpsman

fmfcorpsman Member

Doc Flight,

I am from the milwaukee area and am interested in returning there at some time. As stated above I am a DO student at DMU. I would like to hear about what you are up to and how working in Milwaukee has been, Which hospital are you in? Email me.
    [email protected]
    Thanks

9. docflight2

docflight2 Junior Member

fmfcorpsman,
    Sorry for the delay, I just now checked my email post call. I'll drop you an email. Life is good here in Milwaukee. Do the DMU students have a messageboard or webpage? Good luck to you all.