DMU vs. KCU-KC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

disulfidebond23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been beaten into the ground, but I'm facing the age-old dilemma. I really liked DMU and planned on attending, but then I got accepted at KCU-KC, which is a great school and would be a little closer to home.

What do you guys think? My source was the internet, so please tell me if any of these are totally off. Thank you!

DMU
pros
  • I really liked the town (easy to navigate, seemed safe)
  • They have a dual-degree MPH program
  • More relaxed curriculum but still great board scores
cons
  • You're completely on your own for 4th-year rotations (per the school)
  • DSM is cold and snowy
  • Higher tuition

KCU-KC
pros
  • KC is halfway between immediate and extended family
  • Rotations are more ward-based (so I've heard)
  • Tuition is ~$8k cheaper per year
cons
  • Curriculum is more intense/higher stress level
  • Campus is in a not-so-great area, so I'd want to commute from further away

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can't go wrong either way. I personally was accepted to KCU-KC and then subsequently turned down my II from DMU. It was a bit of an impulse decision but since I am familiar with the KC area I figured I'd go all in. The rigor of the curriculum at KCU has def came up as a negative in some threads on here. I think given that they recently converted to Pass/Fail/Honors and Step 1/COMLEX 1 are now pass-fail it shouldn't be much of an issue in the future. I chose KCU because of the cheaper tuition and the fact that in theory, KC should have more opportunities for research given that UMKC/ KU Med is in town. With that being said DMU seems to have a really nice campus and their match list is pretty top-notch as far as DO schools go.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your advice and insight! It seems like the two are so close, and both great schools, makes it tough to decide. Thanks again!

I never thought about this when applying but I'm super glad KCU isn't super OMM heavy. Only having lab 2 hours a week is a huge plus compared to some other schools. I am not positive but I am pretty sure DMU is pretty OMM heavy. But other than that, you can't really go wrong with either school!

Edit: I'm a 2nd year at KCU

Members don't see this ad :)
Nvm i lied! For some reason, i thougth DMU was super OMM heavy lol
I have heard this, too, but in terms of lab time it sounds about the same! Not sure how many total hours DMU requires, I know KCU said they require the minimum. Thank you for your advice!

Does anyone know whether KCU or DMU has more ward-based rotations? I've heard different things, but I wondered if anyone knew firsthand? Thanks!