DMU vs. KCUMB vs. NYIT vs. Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which DO school would you go to?

• Total voters

jordansnfootbal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a CA resident and was looking at my current options in terms of DOs. What school (DMU, KCUMB, NYIT, PCOM or Western) would be best for me to go to in terms of prestige, opportunities (Residency, research, etc.), cost, and all that jazz. Any insight would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, add a poll to this thread so people can vote. I like voting threads.

I vote KCU. Hella biased though.

I also don't know much about Western at all.

Reactions: 1 user
If you really want to stay in California then WesternU hands down, but if you're looking to go out of state I'd go KCU (biased) since it's in a decently large city and it's very established.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,
I am a CA resident and was looking at my current options in terms of DOs. What school (DMU, KCUMB, NYIT, or Western) would be best for me to go to in terms of prestige, opportunities (Residency, research, etc.), cost, and all that jazz. Any insight would be great.

Prestige: KCU wins for SDN prestige.
Residency: They all have similar matches, with Western having more matches to CA, KCU and DMU having more matches to the midwest, and NYIT to east coast programs.
Research: WesternU has the most in the way of NIH funded research based on the NIH Reporter.
Cost: Midwest living is the cheapest.
"All that jazz": KC has a jazz district. NYIT wold probably be a close second.

Reactions: 7 users
Is 70% of the population of pre meds on SDN bros? As in bruh...?

Prestige: KCU wins for SDN prestige.
Residency: They all have similar matches, with Western having more matches to CA, KCU and DMU having more matches to the midwest, and NYIT to east coast programs.
Research: WesternU has the most in the way of NIH funded research based on the NIH Reporter.
Cost: Midwest living is the cheapest.
"All that jazz": KC has a jazz district. NYIT wold probably be a close second.

but the jazz scene in LA.. !!

but the jazz scene in LA.. !!
19TORONTO-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I would avoid western like the plague, even if you are from cali

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd go pcom>KCU>western=DMU>nycom
Thing is I have an interview coming up to PCOM. I dont know if I should still go or what? I have already been accepted to KCU (but the joplin campus), Western and DMU. Withdrew from NYIT (Just made these decisions yesterday)

Thing is I have an interview coming up to PCOM. I dont know if I should still go or what? I have already been accepted to KCU (but the joplin campus), Western and DMU. Withdrew from NYIT (Just made these decisions yesterday)

I would definitely go to the pcom interview assuming it's for the PA campus!

DMU. Obvious choice. :D

Go where you feel most comfortable. All of those schools are going to get you where you want to be.

Western is obsessed with OMM. I know, I know, you LOVE OMM and that's why you are going to a D.O. school. Just keep in mind that this is likely to change, statistically. OMM here is way more insane than other schools, we have 4 hours dedicated to OMM every week, plus a required OMM rotation during 3rd year. There is also ECM which is our clinical skills class which is a joke. Every week from 1pm- to about 6-7pm. Tons of patient encounters that are trained to say "What do you mean?" to every question you ask, such as "Do you have any chest pain today?". Mediocre professors at best, some even have a negative correlation between student performance for their questions vs. student performance on boards. If you want to do well on boards, you will need to do a lot of independent study. Also, lectures are split between Lebanon campus and Pomona campus, which wasn't a big deal to me, but was a big deal for may of my classmates. They wanted more of an intimate relationship and more availability with the professors. There are small and large group sessions which are required to attend and are a gigantic waste of time.

During 3rd year, there are didactic weeks every 12 weeks which is a week full of useless lectures, your shelf exams (2 on one day) and OSCE's, which are graded patient encounters and are factored into your final rotation grade. They are pretty anal with the grading, so a lot of people fail each time, and many people honor the eval and shelf but are brought down to HP because of the OSCE. No other school does OSCEs throughout 3rd year with a "didactic week".

During 4th year, # of audition rotations in one specialty are limited which sucks, especially if you want to do a competitive specialty. They really push primary care, probably like any other DO school. I expressed my desire to specialize in a certain specialty in a meeting with one of the head faculty, and was suggested to look into Family or IM instead. I could go on and on. If you are deadset on Primary Care, love OMM, and love being required to attend useless lectures, Western is for you!

Oh, and I forgot, our tuition is one of the most, if not the most expensive in the country.

Last edited:
Thats true. Still choosing between DMU or Western and whether I should spend that money to go to PCOM.
Personally i'm biased--I think KCUMB=PCOM.
But I know PCOM is a pretty solid place if you're thinking about specializing and considering you're surrounded by the triplets(Drexel,Temple,Jeff) you got a lot of possibility to do research out there.
DMU i've heard relies too much on other residency programs(MSUCOM) to place their grads.

Reactions: 2 users
Personally i'm biased--I think KCUMB=PCOM.
But I know PCOM is a pretty solid place if you're thinking about specializing and considering you're surrounded by the triplets(Drexel,Temple,Jeff) you got a lot of possibility to do research out there.
DMU i've heard relies too much on other residency programs(MSUCOM) to place their grads.
Wouldnt that be what pcom does as well? If I was accepted to the KC campus rather than Joplin I wouldve taken KCUMB into consideration

Reactions: 3 users
Wouldnt that be what pcom does as well? If I was accepted to the KC campus rather than Joplin I wouldve taken KCUMB into consideration

No PCOM has true home residency programs that give preference to their own grads. It is a huge advantage in competitive specialties. Not to mention the ability to network and do research in Philly. It would be well worth your while to go to that interview, not to mention you have current KCU students telling you that PCOM>KCU.

Also to note, after lots of searching into the matter I actually think the Joplin campus is better than the KC campus, in terms of resources.

Another aside, I would put DMU>> western.

Reactions: 3 users
No PCOM has true home residency programs that give preference to their own grads. It is a huge advantage in competitive specialties. Not to mention the ability to network and do research in Philly. It would be well worth your while to go to that interview, not to mention you have current KCU students telling you that PCOM>KCU.

Also to note, after lots of searching into the matter I actually think the Joplin campus is better than the KC campus, in terms of resources.

Down the road perhaps but it is still a new school therefore id go pcom>dmu>western

Reactions: 2 users
Down the road perhaps but it is still a new school therefore id go pcom>dmu>western

Pre-clinically sure, but it will still be the same curriculum. The clinical years won't be an issue because the sites have already been taking students.

Thanks for the insight much appreciated.

Don't know much about DMU. Rationale?

DMU along with pcom and KCU were part of the original 5 DO schools. This means they have a century's worth of alumni and connections that even very good schools started in the 70s won't have. DMU is a very good program, but when compared to pcom it lacks the in house residencies. KCU vs DMU is kind of just personal preference where I lean towards KCU because of the bigger city, historical matches, proximity of two other medical schools in KC with a large amount of resources. That being said I would have no problem going to DMU whatsoever!

I'd go pcom>KCU>western=DMU>nycom

Why is NYIT not high on your lists? Making a similar choice as the poll here and leaning towards KCU

Why is NYIT not high on your lists? Making a similar choice as the poll here and leaning towards KCU
I havent heard much about NYIT compared to the other school's on my list. Ive also heard about the high attrition rate at NYIT many times.

PCOM >

Totally biased though hehe

Pre-clinically sure, but it will still be the same curriculum. The clinical years won't be an issue because the sites have already been taking students.

Just was on the KCU website looking around and the Joplin sites aren't going to be just for their students it doesn't look like. If KC campus students have the choice to go to those two hospitals there that have residencies you can definitely argue that the KC campus would be the better choice. Unless of course they make those sites Joplin only.

Just was on the KCU website looking around and the Joplin sites aren't going to be just for their students it doesn't look like. If KC campus students have the choice to go to those two hospitals there that have residencies you can definitely argue that the KC campus would be the better choice. Unless of course they make those sites Joplin only.

In my interview they told me that those sites will be just for Joplin students :shrug:

The KC students will have the joplin sites until the inaugural class of joplin hits third year. Then this two hospitals will only take joplin kiddies.

A century worth of grads doesn't mean squat if they can't provide at least decent clinical rotation sites to most of their students. You make real connections when you start residency and start lookig for a job.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

A century worth of grads doesn't mean squat if they can't provide at least decent clinical rotation sites to most of their students. You make real connections when you start residency and start lookig for a job.

Would you take WesternU or nycom over DMU or KCU?

Would you take WesternU or nycom over DMU or KCU?
It's hard to say without attending the other 3 schools and knowing thier capacity to provide decent clinical rotations. And if I remember correctly, most schools will only emphasize preclinical education during the interview. Before you make any decision, make sure their rotation sites are at least half decent.

Well, what do you like the most:

Western: Mexican food
DMU: covered dishes
KCU: barbecue
PCOM: Philly cheesesteaks
NYITCOM: NY deli food and pizza

????

Hello all,
I am a CA resident and was looking at my current options in terms of DOs. What school (DMU, KCUMB, NYIT, PCOM or Western) would be best for me to go to in terms of prestige, opportunities (Residency, research, etc.), cost, and all that jazz. Any insight would be great.

Well, what do you like the most:

Western: Mexican food
DMU: covered dishes
KCU: barbecue
PCOM: Philly cheesesteaks
NYITCOM: NY deli food and pizza

????

I maybe mistaken but I think I recall you saying NY pizza is the only pizza and deep dish doesn't count? I like deep dish!

It's hard to say without attending the other 3 schools and knowing thier capacity to provide decent clinical rotations. And if I remember correctly, most schools will only emphasize preclinical education during the interview. Before you make any decision, make sure their rotation sites are at least half decent.

I'm not sure which school you attended, but it seems you're less than enchanted with the clinical rotations of one of them. Would you care to share which one?

DMU, but again my opinion is biased on one school.

But to those hoping to secure a SoCal residency it might be worth the price.

The post-merger scare is real. I don't think going to WesternU will increase your chances of a SoCal residency. If so it will be marginal. CA is known for giving the least regional bias, they care much more about just recruiting the best they can because the location is highly desired.

I have no doubt many WesternU students will get SoCal spots, but it will be because they are great students and not because of the school they went to. (Aka if they went elsewhere they would've still kicked butt)