DMU vs KCUMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhandal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Received acceptances to both, and find myself second guessing myself. I want to do a surgery residency, and both have matched well in this field. I don't care much for the curriculum type since I'll be studying by myself most of the time. Please new help with some input!

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1383716360.662776.jpg
Vs
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1383716372.388096.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

both are pretty much equal as far as everything goes. which one did you like more? I had to make the same decision, and for me it was easy. however as a little selling point, DMU records all the lectures and puts them online for you to download. you can also get a notetaking service. contrast this with KCUMB's mandatory attendance, it is a no brainer for me. some people love to go to class, but for the vast majority of students, they see what an incredible waste of time it is.

both are pretty much equal as far as everything goes. which one did you like more? I had to make the same decision, and for me it was easy. however as a little selling point, DMU records all the lectures and puts them online for you to download. you can also get a notetaking service. contrast this with KCUMB's mandatory attendance, it is a no brainer for me. some people love to go to class, but for the vast majority of students, they see what an incredible waste of time it is.

I liked both; however I felt that DMU had way better facilities. Also, I plan to go to class mainly for test and group activities because I to see class time becoming redundant.

Members don't see this ad :)

I've always wondered about the whole not going to class idea. So when exactly do most students who don't go to class watch the lectures? The evening after they take place? The next morning?

How much time does it take daily to get caught up on what you missed?

Also, DMU ftw.

DMU has arguably one of the best AOA general surgery residencies.i have never heard anything bad about KCUMB.

both will provide you the opportunity to match surgery.

Reactions: 1 user

Kcumb also records their lectures. Not sure of note taking service but the students at my interview day stated a lot of people post the power points and study guides on the Facebook page.

I really liked kcumb. I like DMU also. Of course I don't have to make a decision because DMU didn't like me as much(waitlist)...lol.....

The surgery lab and surgical skills class at DMU is more than you get at kcumb. So if you are going for surgery I would think that would be a +1 to DMU....I felt like the only minus to kcumb was their basement anatomy lab (no windows). All new classrooms should be ready next year and the iPad and integrated curriculum is a big +1 for me. DMU is just beginning their transition to fully integrated/systems based....not sure how I would have felt with having to deal with being part of that.
Overall, I feel like both schools are great and both have pros and cons and some things are better at one than the other. It's all about where you feel you can be "at home" for 2-4 years (depending on where you get rotations. Lol).

You really can't go wrong with either one. Pre-interview I was really high on DMU but after visiting both I found KCUMB sold me without even trying.

I, too, am preliminary interested in a surgical residency and I feel either will give you a great opportunity to match into surgery.

If you are interested in surgery I think the surgery skills class at DMU would be great for you.
My advice to you is make a pro/con list.

I've always wondered about the whole not going to class idea. So when exactly do most students who don't go to class watch the lectures? The evening after they take place? The next morning?

How much time does it take daily to get caught up on what you missed?

Also, DMU ftw.

depends on you. unless i have a major test coming up, i either watch the lectures the afternoon or the next morning, but but friday night, i am all caught up with watching lectures that week. but the difference is that i can watch the lectures at 2x speed. so getting a 50 minute lecture done in 25 minutes saves time and it lets me finish the lecture before i start losing attention. i don't go to class because i actually make myself be productive outside of class. some people go to class because they are never productive outside of class.

KCUMB video tapes and records all lectures as well. You are allowed to miss something like 10% of the hours per system, but attendance is taken using a sign in sheet so if someone misses the sign in they just skip the whole day. If going to class is a deal breaker then I would say go to DMU. Both are well respected and have very similar core rotation sites. I picked KCUMB for many reasons but mainly because I am from Kansas City and I have family connections to residencys in the area, systems based genesis curriculum, family environment, emphasis on research,and they had the highest pass rate with comlex step 1.
I'm someone that likes to be held accountable and have my day planned for me. I skipped a lot of class the first couple years of undergrad and didn't do well. I ended up doing much better my last few years because I didn't ever skip class. It's not that I don't learn well on my own, but even though the classes were recorded I still missed out on things and I wasn't able to ask questions. If you think you can succeed on your own and you like the surgery aspect of DMU, It sounds like it is a great fit for you.

Thanks guys, this is really helpful information. Right now I'm leaning toward DMU, and I will update on my final decision.

Thanks guys, this is really helpful information. Right now I'm leaning toward DMU, and I will update on my final decision.
Well I'd be happy to have you as a classmate!

Members don't see this ad :)
DMU has arguably one of the best AOA general surgery residencies.i have never heard anything bad about KCUMB.

both will provide you the opportunity to match surgery.
Unfortunately, this residency is switching to ACGME. I don't remember the exact date, but we got an email about it. I would think it would still be very DO friendly though.

Unfortunately, this residency is switching to ACGME. I don't remember the exact date, but we got an email about it. I would think it would still be very DO friendly though.

That's great news! At least for me since I plan to attend a ACGME residency.

this is very, very surprising considering this is one of the oldest, most established AOA general surgery residencies out there...located next to one of the most established DO schools.

no offense, but i am a little skeptical of your information. can you provide me with a source?

this is very, very surprising considering this is one of the oldest, most established AOA general surgery residencies out there...located next to one of the most established DO schools.

no offense, but i am a little skeptical of your information. can you provide me with a source?

I've also heard this. A resident said that they want to see their residents doing fellowships if they choose and they are staying ahead of the AOA/ACGME stuff. This comes from a current 5th year resident at the program.

I've also heard this. A resident said that they want to see their residents doing fellowships if they choose and they are staying ahead of the AOA/ACGME stuff. This comes from a current 5th year resident at the program.
crazy but understandable. pretty big slap in the face to the AOA--although it was deserved.

i am sure they will remain DO friendly.

I've seen many saying how great KCUMB is, and they base this off the fact that they have a genesis curriculum.

My input: information is information, and either way I'll have a crap load of work to do at the end of the day. To me, this curriculum is not a plus because Idk I can't appreciate anything I haven't experienced, all I know that it's suppose to be different.

When it comes to picking schools, I'm having to base my decision on student body environment and the facilities.

KCUMB is not big on OMM. This is what I got out of my interview. They have a million tables but no one really uses them. Their facilities were outdated, and I felt that they were trying to solicit the future, which is great for them, but I'm living in the present. Their students were friendly and laid back. No one complained about the mandatory attendance because I think after a few weeks you just get over it. Their campus is beautiful on the outside and they are one of the only osteopathic institutions pushing for more research. The surrounding neighborhood is bad, but who cares! Other than being asked for 35¢ by some homeless people, I don't see anyone as a victim of a drive by.

DMU was just a beautiful campus. It wasn't as big as KCUMB, but their facilities were state of the art. Their simulation labs, SPAL, and surgical skills lab is definitely something to rave about. Basically everything looked brand new. Although their third and fourth year might be arduous due to the fact that you have to find yourself a rotation spot, this is perfect for me since I want to do a surgery residency elsewhere. Des Moines in General is a small city with a homely feel. While Kansas City had this mig metro feel, which is something I'm use to.

I think both schools are great and at the end of four years you'll still have the same degree. All in all I think DMU is a better fit for me since I am swayed by the surgical skills lab, simulation center, and being able to select my own rotation.

Reactions: 1 users
Any new thoughts or feedback from current students?

So much for DMU's reputation being a "top" DO school, when 25% of students fail an easier version of COMLEX.

Unfortunately, DMU is not the only one. There are plenty of unspoken truths about some osteopathic schools (and some MD schools) that students don't always wanna say to prospective applicants, because of fear the admin will retaliate.

Last edited:
Hey what happened to those posts?! Did someone really delete them?

Hey what happened to those posts?! Did someone really delete them?

Current DMU student feared retaliation so decided to delete his genuine experience that included bad things about DMU that most won't say.

That's really too bad. That was the most accurate description of DMU I've read on SDN so far. They hit the nail on the head.

Sorry guys, I wanted to leave it up there. I could tell that it was already going to cause way too much of a stir and ruffle some feathers. I really took my time in typing that out (almost 2-3 hours) so that I could be concise with my critique. I think I described the situation pretty accurately.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, I wanted to leave it up there. I could tell that it was already going to cause way too much of a stir and ruffle some feathers. I really took my time in typing that out (almost 2-3 hours) so that I could be concise with my critique. Unfortunately, I deleted it and there is no way of retrieving it. Hopefully, enough people saw it to leave an impression, especially the current students and current 2nd years (soon to be 3rd years). I think I described the situation pretty accurately. Jbay, if you don't me asking (you obviously don't have to answer if you don't want to) but, are you a current student?

I was able to read the posts. It seems a bunch of stuff you listed as cons can be alleviated by being a student who is a self-motivated learner. I get bored sometimes and look up DOs at good residencies. They're always from DMU, NSU, Western U, KCUMB, PCOM etc.

I'm asking these questions because no school is perfect and I want to know how to deal with any faults that might pop up at whichever school I decide to attend.

1.) Can a student who is self-motivated still get a quality education? How big are the pitfalls you talked about in the grand scheme of things?

2.) What advice do you have for dealing with some of the issues you listed? You can make it generic advice and not link it to a particular institution.

I was able to read the posts. It seems a bunch of stuff you listed as cons can be alleviated by being a student who is a self-motivated learner. I get bored sometimes and look up DOs at good residencies. They're always from DMU, NSU, Western U, KCUMB, PCOM etc.

I'm asking these questions because no school is perfect and I want to know how to deal with any faults that might pop up at whichever school I decide to attend.

1.) Can a student who is self-motivated still get a quality education? How big are the pitfalls you talked about in the grand scheme of things?

2.) What advice do you have for dealing with some of the issues you listed? You can make it generic advice and not link it to a particular institution.

Well, to be clear, I prefaced my comments by stating that I realize no school is perfect and that, most likely, there are many schools out there with similar issues.

I can't really comment on how the big the pitfalls are with respect to the grand scheme of things because I am only, as of now, a second year student. This is why I referred to the old post from the 4th year student. I can tell you that, based on what I have seen from the class above me, that it certainly doesn't help to have all of these pitfalls along the way.

Well, I hope most of the issues you mentioned are fixed for the class of 2018.

I know some exceptional students who were accepted there and consider it their dream school.

The post was informative but I felt a little unsettled when I read O Grady's post. I can remember when he initially got his MCAT he was devastated. He went beast mode and totally ripped his retake apart. Hopefully DMU meets all his expectations.

I can remember when @touchpause13 posted she got in. It was a good moment for sure.

@bhandal , The guy probably has really straight teeth or something... I dunno. I'm sure a good guy too.

I wish my fellow DO students well when school starts.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry guys, I wanted to leave it up there. I could tell that it was already going to cause way too much of a stir and ruffle some feathers. I really took my time in typing that out (almost 2-3 hours) so that I could be concise with my critique. I think I described the situation pretty accurately.
I missed it, can u give a cliffs notes or PM me?

I missed it, can u give a cliffs notes or PM me?

No, sorry. I already typed it out and it took way too long of a time. I listed so many things that the "cliff" notes version would undoubtedly take a long time as well. There have been people messaging me to do the same and I am just not in the mood to re-type that up. And besides, there is no reason to point this out to all the students just accepted who now know that they are starting in just a month or two. The curriculum is set and they actually modified one of the things that I was complaining about, so that is good for you guys. Hopefully, they keep making improvements for the better and listen to the students about what needs to be changed.