DMU vs LECOM-Erie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vera2398

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm aware of the general consensus favoring DMU over many DO schools, especially LECOM due to many negative opinions on it (dress code, eating rules, etc). However, I have already made preparations for attending LECOM since I had been accepted way earlier (put down deposits for apartments and everything). I wasn't expecting DMU to offer out of the blue so late.
I'm conflicted right now because my family is living in Pennsylvania, and the tuition is slightly cheaper at LECOM (also considering the deposits I've put down already for LECOM). However, I wanted your opinion: is DMU truly worth turning down what I have now? I'm aware it's prestigious in the DO world. Are there better chances at matching at competitive specialties than at LECOM? I don't really care about LECOM's rules (I'm sure I can find some dress clothes and avoid eating in class, and attendance isn't a problem for me). Both seem to be in relatively small cities, but Iowa is another state entirely. I would love to hear your opinions on this dilemma I have. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to LECOM. You'll easily save $100k on tuition + another $15k or so in living costs. DOs schools are all the same outside of the few state schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to lecom. Cheaper, close to home. Prestige and DO degree are not compatible ideas. I went to kirksville and on the interview trail I had DO program directors ask “which one is that again?” Legitimately, no one cares what DO school you went to.

Reactions: 1 users
Go to LECOM. You'll easily save $100k on tuition + another $15k or so in living costs. DOs schools are all the same outside of the few state schools.

Go to lecom. Cheaper, close to home. Prestige and DO degree are not compatible ideas. I went to kirksville and on the interview trail I had DO program directors ask “which one is that again?” Legitimately, no one cares what DO school you went to.
Thanks for the feedback! What do you think in terms of matching to residencies? For example if I wanted to practice in the northeast region but in a more competitive residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback! What do you think in terms of matching to residencies? For example if I wanted to practice in the northeast region but in a more competitive residency?
DOC0601211.pdf (lecom.edu)

LECOM can do that for you. You gotta put in the work too. And just like @Ho0v-man said, most programs won't know or care what DO school you're from. I consider myself knowledgeable and I still had to take a second to think which school is kirksville. People 10+ years removed from AMCAS (PDs) won't know or care, and LECOM has a huge class size so that'll help in terms of name brand.

DOC0601211.pdf (lecom.edu)

LECOM can do that for you. You gotta put in the work too. And just like @Ho0v-man said, most programs won't know or care what DO school you're from. I consider myself knowledgeable and I still had to take a second to think which school is kirksville. People 10+ years removed from AMCAS (PDs) won't know or care, and LECOM has a huge class size so that'll help in terms of name brand.
Yes I was looking at the match lists as well! I did notice that LECOM is majority northeast (which I like) while DMU is mainly midwest. However I was also looking at campus life and it seems DMU has a much nicer/technological/more established campus and lab setting. I'm sure as long as I put in the work, campus lifestyle won't affect me too much, but I was very much attracted to DMU's campus vs LECOM's more dismal setting (one building).

It’ll help to stay in the northeast if your school is there. Lecom is in the region you want to be. It’s all good.

Yes I was looking at the match lists as well! I did notice that LECOM is majority northeast (which I like) while DMU is mainly midwest. However I was also looking at campus life and it seems DMU has a much nicer/technological/more established campus and lab setting. I'm sure as long as I put in the work, campus lifestyle won't affect me too much, but I was very much attracted to DMU's campus vs LECOM's more dismal setting (one building).
You're paying for that in the form of an extra $100k tuition. On the interview trail this one kid was badmouthing the school and bragging about how another school was more "technologically advanced and has a shiny full glass building." That school had nearly 2x our tuition and 20%+ higher COL.

You're gonna be locked up in your apartment or the library studying all day long, who cares if the building is shiny or if the toilet paper is 1 or 2 ply? Take that $100k+ you save, use an extra $3k a year to go solo on an apartment and $500-$1k a year on vacation. Plus your main goal is NE and LECOM can get you there.

You're paying for that in the form of an extra $100k tuition. On the interview trail this one kid was badmouthing the school and bragging about how another school was more "technologically advanced and has a shiny full glass building." That school had nearly 2x our tuition and 20%+ higher COL.

You're gonna be locked up in your apartment or the library studying all day long, who cares if the building is shiny or if the toilet paper is 1 or 2 ply? Take that $100k+ you save, use an extra $3k a year to go solo on an apartment and $500-$1k a year on vacation. Plus your main goal is NE and LECOM can get you there.
Thank you guys on the feedback! The info and opinion is definitely helpful. I was initially doubtful because of all the negative things I heard about LECOM on sdn, but it's the most applied to school in the country for a reason right? (also 100+ pages on sdn lol)

Lots of people want to go to med school while staying in their apt wearing pajamas all day. I believe the Lecom rules aren't as draconian as some make out. Most DO schools have regional reputations. DMU, PCOM, LECOM, etc. Look at established schools, cost, board scores and match lists. You ideally want to attend a school that will help get you on your career path. Both of those schools can, I definitely would go with the cheaper school. It's only 2 yrs on campus, then you are on clinicals.

Reactions: 1 users
Lots of people want to go to med school while staying in their apt wearing pajamas all day. I believe the Lecom rules aren't as draconian as some make out. Most DO schools have regional reputations. DMU, PCOM, LECOM, etc. Look at established schools, cost, board scores and match lists. You ideally want to attend a school that will help get you on your career path. Both of those schools can, I definitely would go with the cheaper school. It's only 2 yrs on campus, then you are on clinicals.
That makes sense! After much thought I think I'm going to go ahead with LECOM! Thanks for the input!

Not a LECOM student but I recently met some and they equated their time at LECOM-Erie to "trauma". Apparently there was a serious lack of support from faculty/staff, and admin manipulated them in certain ways via fine-print in contracts. That's about all I tuned in for. Maybe try talking to an upper-classmen there before making deposits, because these two students were very very upset about their time there.