dmu vs. nycom vs. wvsom

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by docstarwars, Nov 30, 2001.

1. docstarwars

docstarwars Member

hi everyone,
    i am new to this site, so i am a little nervous. i was accepted to dmu, but still have interviews at nycom and wvsom. i really liked dmu, but i was wondering if i should give up my interview spots so that others may have a chance. therfore, i was wondering if people could tell me the pros and cons to these schools. thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...

Hi Doc,

I am currently a 4th year at WVSOM. What would you like to know? It is a good school, but VERY rural. Nice town with artsy boutiques and coffee shops and the like, just small. Do you have any specific questions?

Billie

4. jhug

jhug 1K Member

Docstarwars-- I interviewed and was accepted to 5 schools after finding out i got in to DMU-- this sounds like a ton but i didn't want to make the decision off of paper/internet/catalogs (--touro is a prime example of why--) I would suggest going and getting a feel for each school. Don't shut any doors- let you be the one deciding where you go. It does get quite expensive but in the end it is worth it-- you want to go to the ABSOLUTE BEST school- that includes which fits you and your personality--this is something that i feel can only be achieved by physically experiencing each individual institution. Congrats on DMU- best of luck to you!!

5. vietcongs

vietcongs Senior Member

DMU is great! Im a first yr student now. I would take your interviews at those other schools though so that you can compare what is right for YOU. If DMU still is top on your list after those other interviews, welcome to the family bro.

6. docstarwars

docstarwars Member

billie, jhug, and vietcongs,

thanks for your replies! they have given me things to think about.

billie,

i am sorry that it has taken me so long to get back with questions about wvsom, but i only have access to the net on weekdays. i was wondering about the residencies that wv has. where does wvsom have residents? do you like the school, or do you sometimes wish you had gone to another school. basically, i was wondering if i could get an honest opinion about the school from someone that is not assosciated with the admissions office. please feel free to write about anything that jumps into your mind. i hope i am not taking up a lot of your time. thanks!

7. Texas_Sam

Texas_Sam Member

Hey Doc,

NYCOM is a good school. If you are leaning toward the osteopathic way of life then NYCOM is the place for you. You average 4 to 5 hours in class or lab time / week for your entire first and second year.

They recently hired a new dean of medicine. He is doing a great job converting the second year course into logical systems blocks. The first years seem happy with their block systems as well.

If you are accepted at NYCOM, you can expect a pretty tough time of it. They believe that grinding the students is a great way to fix information in a students head. It works. It's not always pretty but it works. You will start off with a deep, comprehensive anatomy course, physio, biochem, histology, micro, and OMM. The list of classes grows and by the time you are in your second year, you will be hard pressed to believe that you've made it through all of them.

The first two years are rough, but thats the price you pay for your 3rd and 4th year rotations, all of which you can do in NYC, Bronx, or Brooklyn. Coming from LA you will undoubtedly have a rough time adjusting to Long Island for the first two years. No sweat, your third and fourth year comes around soon enough. These latter years can be completely urban or a bit countrified if that's your thing. Either way, you'll be getting one of the best medical educations in the world. Speaking of world, I understand that a few of my classmates are attempting to get a 4th year rotation started in Latin America. It will probably be a family practice rotation. So, take a second to think about what you really want from a medical school and then make an educated choice. Either way, four years from now (hopefully), you'll be a physician / surgeon. Congrats on getting into DMU and good luck with the rest of your choices.

Texas_Sam

8. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I have been traveling around interviewing for internships, and now started a rotation away from home, so more traveling YUCK

I am sorry if I am cannot answer your questions well. But I am confused when you asked what residencies WV has. You get a residency where ever you want one, DO or MD, in WV or elsewhere in the country. But if you are asking me what residencies are in the state of WV, well WVSOM is affiliated with MSOPTI. Every school is affiliated with an OPTI (osteopathic post-doctoral training institute). You can find mostly FM residencies since that is the mission of the school, to train FM physicians for Appalachia. There are also IM residencies and a brand new EM residency that has not graduated a class yet.

I am an "older" student and did not want to go out of state for school. So I only applied in-state for medical school and WVSOM was my first choice. So I am very glad I came here. But coming from LA, I think you would find it difficult to adjust to the rural area where the school is. As far as education, I don't think you would be disappointed. What Texas Sam has described about NYCOM is similar to WVSOM. Very grueling first year. I feel we have one of the best anatomy faculty anywhere, and definitely the best anatomy lab. Second year I found more manageable though. Third and fourth year is very liberal in that you pretty much can do your rotations where ever you want to. They do require X amount of time in rural rotations (as that is their mission), but the rest of the time you can go back home to CA if you want and finish up there. One of my classmates is from AL and he has done the required rotations in WV, then went back home to AL for the rest.

So for an opinion from someone not in admissions :D I am very glad I came here, and I think academically you would be very successful in whatever residency you eventually pursued. But in all honesty, you might not be happy coming from the West Coast/City to a rural WV town. Like I said before, very nice town with some upscale shops and coffee shops and boutiques. But you need to be happy wherever you go! Hope all this helps!

Billie

If you have more specific question, feel free to e-mail me! :)

9. You should definitely go to your interview at NYCOM. Graduates of NYCOM are highly regarded in both the osteopathic and allopathic community.