DMU vs UIWSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gujibeans

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, really in need of some help here. Today I received admission to DMU (Des Moines, Iowa) and I am due for my deposit for admission at UIWSOM (San Antonio, Texas). I have three more interviews scheduled (all DO), and pending hearing back from 5 other schools. Regardless, I need to put down a deposit on one of these schools and decide by early next week.

A little about me: I'm from Phoenix, Arizona (only lived here) and i'm 22 years old. My girlfriend, who I currently live with, will be going with me wherever I go, but her interests are also at play.

UIWSOM
Pros:
- Location: San Antonio is a very similar lifestyle to Phoenix, I liked the area a lot and it's a quick flight home
- Education: style is very self-taught and small-group study driven, seems to be enjoyed by the students and I think that I will do well in it, pass-fail
- Texas residency situation is very solid
- Staff and students seemed to love the school
- Most likely better career options for my girlfriend in SA
Cons:
- School is brand new and pretty unknown
- They have yet to release board scores and the inaugural class has not had residency placements yet
- Family medicine focus, looking at more competitive specialties (this is a minor concern, but the relatively unknown reputation of this school does worry me a bit on this end)
- Tuition is a bit more expensive that DMU (57k vs 51k/year)

DMU-COM
Pros:
- Reputation: DMU has great board scores/residency placement stats
- Been around for much longer than many other DO school
- Des Moines being a much smaller town may allow me to focus on school above other things
- Tuition is cheaper and more scholarships available
- Campus is nicer

Cons:
- Iowa is pretty far from home, moving will be rough and i'm not super thrilled about living in Des Moines
- Very cold, especially coming from a place where the temp never drops below 50 over winter

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.