DMU vs UNE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway179

Reaction score
I’ve been accepted to both Des Moines University and University of New England and now have the fantastic problem of choosing between the two.

DMU

Pros:
  • Cheaper: Lower tuition by ~$7,000/year, ~3 hour drive from home so moving expenses and traveling home costs would be low
  • Close to family/friends, could easily travel back for weddings, funerals, birthdays, etc. Family really wants me to go to DMU.
  • Significant other would be 6 hour drive away so feasible for weekend trips, would try to stay together.
  • “Better school” (?) I’m not really sure how to measure this but from what I’ve heard people say it seems DMU may have a better reputation. Very well established, one of the original 5 D.O. schools. Fairly well known in the midwest, likely would have good residency opportunities nearby.
Cons:
  • Didn’t absolutely love it on interview day. Liked it, think I would be happy there, just wasn’t super excited.
  • Des Moines is fine but I’m not pumped about moving there.
  • Probably would never live outside of the midwest as I’d likely end up staying for residency.
  • Large class size, ~220
UNE

Pros:
  • Really loved it on interview day. Everyone was super nice and welcoming, liked the vibe. Beautiful campus, right on the beach (I love the ocean).
  • I love Maine and have wanted to move there since I first visited several years ago. I would consider staying there to practice, but this could also end up being a con as I would be far from my family long-term.
  • Smaller class size, ~170
  • Would live outside of the midwest for the first time in my life, new experiences, etc.
Cons:
  • UNE is not well known in the midwest if I decided I wanted to return for residency.
  • Maybe not as “good” of a school? Again, not really sure how to measure this, just going off of what other people have said to me.
  • Far from home, likely would miss some big events as traveling home would be more expensive and time consuming.
  • Higher tuition and moving costs.
  • Would likely be ending relationship with significant other as regular trips to see him would not be feasible.
Honestly I think I know what my decision will be already, but I’m looking for anyone else’s opinions on the two schools in general before a make a deposit. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Right up front I will try and mention any bias I may have...
I am from So. FL, never been to the midwest but I love the New England area. Love Love Love
I am accepted to DMU and NSU but will likely go to DMU is state MDs don't pan out. I did not apply to UNE only because of the required mandatory attendance and dress.

-DMU by your calculations will save you $30k+interest. Not a deal breaker but that's a brand new car and maybe 50k once you can pay it.
-Cost of living will be much lower in DM than Maine. Likely at least $500/mo difference ($24k/4 yrs)
-DMU and UNE are both awesome schools, maybe, maybe DMU gets a slight edge but doubtful it really matters
-If you like to attend classes then this won't be a pro/con but DMU is optional attendance which is a HUGE pro to me.
-Family support is usually a huge plus (dependant on how supportive specific family is and effective distance.) This is going to be determined by you if Des Moines is just slightly too far and you are removed from family at both schools.
-That difference in class size is probably irrelevant as both schools are established.

At the end of the day, you will have to make the choice best for you. There isn't a right or wrong answer.
For me, the financial and attendance options would easily push me to DMU.

Reactions: 2 users
Right up front I will try and mention any bias I may have...
I am from So. FL, never been to the midwest but I love the New England area. Love Love Love
I am accepted to DMU and NSU but will likely go to DMU is state MDs don't pan out. I did not apply to UNE only because of the required mandatory attendance and dress.

-DMU by your calculations will save you $30k+interest. Not a deal breaker but that's a brand new car and maybe 50k once you can pay it.
-Cost of living will be much lower in DM than Maine. Likely at least $500/mo difference ($24k/4 yrs)
-DMU and UNE are both awesome schools, maybe, maybe DMU gets a slight edge but doubtful it really matters
-If you like to attend classes then this won't be a pro/con but DMU is optional attendance which is a HUGE pro to me.
-Family support is usually a huge plus (dependant on how supportive specific family is and effective distance.) This is going to be determined by you if Des Moines is just slightly too far and you are removed from family at both schools.
-That difference in class size is probably irrelevant as both schools are established.

At the end of the day, you will have to make the choice best for you. There isn't a right or wrong answer.
For me, the financial and attendance options would easily push me to DMU.
Thanks so much for your input! Yeah I was leaning heavily toward DMU but it’s helpful to hear someone else validate that decision. Good luck with the rest of your cycle!

Will be interviewing at UNE soon. I was accepted to DMU. Currently, live about ~45min from the UNE campus and have spent my entire life in the northeast and living on the ocean. Depending on my interview, I might be in a similar position as you.

If I had the opportunity to choose b/w UNE and DMU, I think I would lean towards DMU. While UNE is an amazing school and it's location would be pretty ideal, I think DMU just has more to offer.

Things that are important to me, that are pushing me towards DMU...
1) Tuition - while the difference doesn't seem like a lot now, the loan burden will make a difference when you're an attending level physician. I've spoken to a few physicians who went to UNE who loved their experience but advised me to attend the cheapest school if I was open to relocating.

2) Curriculum - From my research, DMU puts up top-notch COMLEX scores. Not exactly sure how this compares to UNE, but I believe DMU is just as good if not better. On top of that, DMU doesn't have mandatory lecture while UNE students do have mandatory lecture for the second year. This is a dealbreaker for me. I know this isn't an issue for some people, but it is for me. I know how to learn. I don't want to waste my time in lecture when I could be watching recordings in my pajamas drinking coffee at x2 speed.

3) Location - I love New England and am open to practicing here. That being said, Biddeford is low key kind of in the middle of nowhere ME. It's beautiful, but Des Moines is an up-and-coming place for younguns. Especially with regards to the cost of living, etc.

Either way, both schools are fantastic. I feel like you are going to get a solid education with either one. Although I am unsure where I want to match, I don't want to exclude the northeast. I've been told that attending DMU might make this slightly more challenging than attending UNE, but not impossible (especially because I have ties to the area). Good luck with your choice and if anyone else has more to chip... please contribute! Hoping to learn more about these schools.

Disclaimer: my current opinion might change s/p UNE interview lol

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Will be interviewing at UNE soon. I was accepted to DMU. Currently, live about ~45min from the UNE campus and have spent my entire life in the northeast and living on the ocean. Depending on my interview, I might be in a similar position as you.

If I had the opportunity to choose b/w UNE and DMU, I think I would lean towards DMU. While UNE is an amazing school and it's location would be pretty ideal, I think DMU just has more to offer.

Things that are important to me, that are pushing me towards DMU...
1) Tuition - while the difference doesn't seem like a lot now, the loan burden will make a difference when you're an attending level physician. I've spoken to a few physicians who went to UNE who loved their experience but advised me to attend the cheapest school if I was open to relocating.

2) Curriculum - From my research, DMU puts up top-notch COMLEX scores. Not exactly sure how this compares to UNE, but I believe DMU is just as good if not better. On top of that, DMU doesn't have mandatory lecture while UNE students do have mandatory lecture for the second year. This is a dealbreaker for me. I know this isn't an issue for some people, but it is for me. I know how to learn. I don't want to waste my time in lecture when I could be watching recordings in my pajamas drinking coffee at x2 speed.

3) Location - I love New England and am open to practicing here. That being said, Biddeford is low key kind of in the middle of nowhere ME. It's beautiful, but Des Moines is an up-and-coming place for younguns. Especially with regards to the cost of living, etc.

Either way, both schools are fantastic. I feel like you are going to get a solid education with either one. Although I am unsure where I want to match, I don't want to exclude the northeast. I've been told that attending DMU might make this slightly more challenging than attending UNE, but not impossible (especially because I have ties to the area). Good luck with your choice and if anyone else has more to chip... please contribute! Hoping to learn more about these schools.

Disclaimer: my current opinion might change s/p UNE interview lol
All good points, thank you! Yeah the more I think about it the more I think I would much prefer DMU's attendance policy. Good luck with your UNE interview! Mine was super laid back and actually enjoyable.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve been accepted to both Des Moines University and University of New England and now have the fantastic problem of choosing between the two.

DMU

Pros:
  • Cheaper: Lower tuition by ~$7,000/year, ~3 hour drive from home so moving expenses and traveling home costs would be low
  • Close to family/friends, could easily travel back for weddings, funerals, birthdays, etc. Family really wants me to go to DMU.
  • Significant other would be 6 hour drive away so feasible for weekend trips, would try to stay together.
  • “Better school” (?) I’m not really sure how to measure this but from what I’ve heard people say it seems DMU may have a better reputation. Very well established, one of the original 5 D.O. schools. Fairly well known in the midwest, likely would have good residency opportunities nearby.
Cons:
  • Didn’t absolutely love it on interview day. Liked it, think I would be happy there, just wasn’t super excited.
  • Des Moines is fine but I’m not pumped about moving there.
  • Probably would never live outside of the midwest as I’d likely end up staying for residency.
  • Large class size, ~220
UNE

Pros:
  • Really loved it on interview day. Everyone was super nice and welcoming, liked the vibe. Beautiful campus, right on the beach (I love the ocean).
  • I love Maine and have wanted to move there since I first visited several years ago. I would consider staying there to practice, but this could also end up being a con as I would be far from my family long-term.
  • Smaller class size, ~170
  • Would live outside of the midwest for the first time in my life, new experiences, etc.
Cons:
  • UNE is not well known in the midwest if I decided I wanted to return for residency.
  • Maybe not as “good” of a school? Again, not really sure how to measure this, just going off of what other people have said to me.
  • Far from home, likely would miss some big events as traveling home would be more expensive and time consuming.
  • Higher tuition and moving costs.
  • Would likely be ending relationship with significant other as regular trips to see him would not be feasible.
Honestly I think I know what my decision will be already, but I’m looking for anyone else’s opinions on the two schools in general before a make a deposit. Thank you!!

It depends somewhat on what region you want to do residency in. If you go to UNE and want to match back in the midwest, you're going to need to do away rotations (which are expensive) cause PDs in that region dont know what UNE is or likely havent taken a UNE grad before. DO school names carry regional weight. It is a thing in the MD world to go to school or residency in a completely other location just to experience something new but this doesnt translate the same way with DO. If you want to work in the Midwest DMU is hands down your answer.

It depends somewhat on what region you want to do residency in. If you go to UNE and want to match back in the midwest, you're going to need to do away rotations (which are expensive) cause PDs in that region dont know what UNE is or likely havent taken a UNE grad before. DO school names carry regional weight. It is a thing in the MD world to go to school or residency in a completely other location just to experience something new but this doesnt translate the same way with DO. If you want to work in the Midwest DMU is hands down your answer.

If one were to attend say KCU/DMU with aspirations of matching back to the northeast region, I understand that it would be a bit more challenging per say, but with KCU and DMU being part of the original 5 and having ~100 year alumni networks, I'd like to think that those names still hold some weight in the northeast DO realm. :xf:

If one were to attend say KCU/DMU with aspirations of matching back to the northeast region, I understand that it would be a bit more challenging per say, but with KCU and DMU being part of the original 5 and having ~100 year alumni networks, I'd like to think that those names still hold some weight in the northeast DO realm. :xf:

Not really. You need to also take into consideration that New England is one of the more Anti DO places in the country.

PDs want to take known quantities. If they havent taken many people from your school then you are an unknown. You need to then make yourself known by doing aways, which as I've said aren't always easy.