how to decide when similar cost?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which PT school?

• Des Moines University (DMU)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC)

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Regis University

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • University of Iowa

• Creighton University

• University of Illinois

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CottageChez

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One of the most significant differences between the schools would have to be the curriculum. I know you said you are up for the challenge with DMU, but do you truly see yourself learning well with how it's structured? I think another thing to consider is the clinical experiences at each program.

That's a great point! I still have another week to commit at DMU, but I've been in touch with some of the student ambassadors and admissions so I could have a more complete picture as to how their curriculum and clinicals work.

DMU has been more responsive compared to UNMC, and I have visited them twice. I have done the bulk of my observations in Nebraska and have always been impressed by UNMC PTs. I know DMU is know for their manual therapy focus, which appeals to me but I feel confident both schools would prepare well-rounded generalists. DMU has strong research mentor programs for those that are interested and have courses that address evidence-based practices. I have psychology research background which I think helps, but I'm going to school to be a clinician grounded in evidence-based research, not going to school for pure research.

I have seen a lot of schools push their curriculum to have earlier clinicals. I think their is merit in this but I noticed that UNMC's first clinical experience is in the spring term of first year. I am not sure as students if we'll know much other than practice documentation and more observations. UNMC's first clinical internship coincides with DMU's first clinical experience is the fall term of second year. UNMC has also revamped their curriculum fairly recently to include this earlier clinical experience. I'm not sure what else I should be looking for in the curriculum though.

So far, it seems like UNMC and DMU have a lottery. UNMC says they offer leg room for negotiation and DMU has you select 5 options. UNMC requires one inpatient, one outpatient, a practice that addresses neuro/peds, and one outside of the omaha/lincoln metro. DMU requires one out of the metro area and one out of state. The DCE and assiant DCE at DMU also told me they really try to visit 70-80% of the clinical sites.

From my student interactions, there appears to be more undergraduate students who went on straight to graduate school at UNMC. DMU has more of a mixed bag and nontraditional students like me. That's also another reason why universities like Regis appealed to me. I think I will be fine either way and I can build relationships with my fellow classmates. It just helps to relate to others who have already been in the workforce or come from different backgrounds.
im curious which school you ended up choosing? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.