1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

DMU

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Katie1822, Mar 17, 2001.

1. Katie1822

Katie1822 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Just wondering who out there is on there way to the middle of Iowa next year and DMU?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hawkeye01

Hawkeye01 Member
    10+ Year Member

As of right now, I am on my way to DMU next fall. Things could change, but more than likely I'll be heading to Des Moines.

"Building a Foundation." --Coach Alford

4. muonwhiz

muonwhiz Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Who knows whether or not I'll be there? I got wait listed. Good luck to all.

5. smspremed

smspremed Junior Member

I am headed to DMU as well! I am really excited about the move. I hope that it'll be fun. See you all soon. Email me if you want to: [email protected]

6. tiffsatt

tiffsatt Member
    10+ Year Member

I have been accepted to DMU but waiting to hear from a few more schools. Just out of curiosity, where have some of you guys interviewed besides DMU and why did you decide upon DMU?

7. Katie1822

Katie1822 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I haven't and won't be interviewing anywhere else. I was able to talk to several alumni of DMU, as well as, hear from students at DMU. They seemed to have been happy with the education they had recieved or were recieving. I also visted the school before applying. Of course, it didn't hurt that DMU was in my home state [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Katie1822 (edited March 21, 2001).]

8. kidterrific

kidterrific Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have been accepted, and I'm waiting on one more school that seems to be ignoring me, so I'm pretty sure I'll end up @ DMU.

Let's all make a blood oath that we'll be friends forever! Just kidding. We should, though, meet up somewhere once we're all in Iowa. Exchange email addresses, or something. I could seriously use an immediate group of people to go get drinks with! When I went to Oklahoma for my interview and knew absolutely nobody there, Docb65 RECOGNIZED me right off the bat and asked if I was kidterrific. It was a blast from there, and the guy was just plain nice.

Sound good, all? Email me.

And as for the one from Michigan, if you go there, it looks like I know who I'll be driving back with for Christmas break! Ha ha ha! Email me and I'll tell you why I chose DMU over the others.

------------------
    --
    KidT
    [email protected]

[This message has been edited by kidterrific (edited March 22, 2001).]

9. I interviewed at DMU as well and really liked the school. it is my top choice of medical school but I still haven't heard news regarding my status yet. Its been three weeks after my interview, I e-mailed and called the admissions office and did not recieve a reply. Are they on spring break or something? Could anyone who interviewed there tell me if it took you more than 3 weeks to hear some news.

10. tiffsatt

tiffsatt Member
    10+ Year Member

Hope,

It took about 2 maybe 2 and a half weeks to get my reply. There was a message on my answering machine saying that I was accepted and my letter would be coming in the mail in the next couple weeks.

Good Luck

11. Hi "ya'll"! As the president of the surgery club and first year student at DMU... congratulations and hope to meet you all this coming fall. Problems with admissions??? Ms. Fox, the admissions secretary is notoriously disorganized and slow. Need to get a hold of someone? Try Kathy Scaglione at 515-271-1461 or try to get the number for student services... both very helpful if you explain your problem. I have been following many of the negative postings about DMU, and disagree with many of the problems satated. Yes, every school has its problems, but they can be fixed. I am extremely satisfied with the education here and am convinced that I will get into whatever residency I decide to pursue. Please e-mail me with ANY questions that you may have about DMU and where to live in Des Moines when that time comes. Look forward to hearing from you all. I too am from MI.
    Joshua Smith Pharm.D., D.O. '04
    [email protected]

12. Hi "ya'll"! As the president of the surgery club and first year student at DMU... congratulations and hope to meet you all this coming fall. Problems with admissions??? Ms. Fox, the admissions secretary is notoriously disorganized and slow. Need to get a hold of someone? Try Kathy Scaglione at 515-271-1461 or try to get the number for student services... both very helpful if you explain your problem. I have been following many of the negative postings about DMU, and disagree with many of the problems satated. Yes, every school has its problems, but they can be fixed. I am extremely satisfied with the education here and am convinced that I will get into whatever residency I decide to pursue. Please e-mail me with ANY questions that you may have about DMU and where to live in Des Moines when that time comes. Look forward to hearing from you all. I too am from MI.
    Joshua Smith Pharm.D., D.O. '04
    [email protected]

13. Ooops...my bad! please dont hold that against me!
    Detroit to Des Moines should be quite the culture shock! My brother went to U of Detroit... used his calculus book as a bullet-proof vest!

14. tiffsatt

tiffsatt Member
    10+ Year Member

I go to U of D! Who was your brother?

15. He graduated several years ago... now is in chem.engineering program at Wayne State. He always has interesting stories about Detroit! Do any drinking at "Tom's Tavern"? He took me there once... what a *&%$-hole! But then again, Detroit is such a charming place!

16. I'd like to inquire about housing for DMU. Is there on campus housing or decent housing within walking distance of the school?

also could any one give me info about how you finance your education such as how much loans you took out, how to obtain other sources of aid such as private scholarships, etc...

any one know the results of the DO match yet?

17. Homunculus

Homunculus SDN Caveman Administrator
    Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey smspremed-- are you from the Springfield area, or did you just go there for school? I'm from Ozark, just south of Spring-town, 'cept I went to Drury :p .. how 'bout them bears? not too bad until they ran into the buzzsaw named Purdue.. [​IMG]

take it easy

homonculus

18. Katie1822

Katie1822 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hopefull 2001

My friend from Des Moines sent me some advice about housing including some links to check out. There are apartment buildings 2-3 blocks from campus that are supposed to be decent. Here are some of the links she gave me.
    http://www.venturellc.com --Venture Management and Realty
    http://www.apartmentbluebook.com
    http://www.apartments.com (apparently this site comes with a virtual tour)

She recommended looking in the Des Moines Register for apt listings that come with addresses so you can use the virtual tour.

19. I live at 3000 Grand ave. Good points: I've never had a noise complaint, it takes me two minutes to walk to school. Bad points: Its very expensive ($690 for one bedroom), management is terrible, they often stick students in very noisy apartments without warning them. Cant stress enough how much management suck! Apartment blue Book is probably your best bet. If you don't mind driving 10-15 minutes, you can live in west desmoines and get a lot more for your money. A warning... IA drivers are the worst in the US and most of them are >70 years old. When I came out here to check places out, every nice place I pulled into was a retirement home. I swear the mean age here is 60+ y.o. There are lots of apartments right across the street from the school but I couldnt tell you how nice they are... none were available when I was looking for a place, so I never checked them out. No on campus housing. Don't let people scare you about parking on campus, there is enough. As far as loans go, you'll have to ask someone else. Feel free to keep posting questions, I'll try to answer them.
    ---Josh

20. muonwhiz

muonwhiz Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Do many students at DMU have dogs? What is the scene with trying to find housing that will let you have pets (hopefully w/out excessive rent)? Thanks for the info.

21. All of the people I know who have dogs live in duplex's or houses. I don't know of any people with dogs in apartments.

22. kidterrific

10+ Year Member

I heard about people sucking at driving out there. That pisses me off, because I just bought a brand new car!

[email protected]#@!!!!

Things are looking pretty secure for me going to DMU.....

------------------
    --
    KidT
    [email protected]

23. wow! $690 for a one bed room at 3000 Grand Ave. Is there on campus housing at DMU? Whats the cheapest rental rates for places within walking distance to the school? I looked at a couple web site and the rates for West Des Moines is around $500.

24. kidterrific

10+ Year Member

When I interviewed, I stayed with a guy who lived directly across the street, and he was paying somewhere around 530, I think.

Not to shabby.

------------------
    --
    KidT
    [email protected]

25. Try Windsor Terrace. I have some friends that live there. It is the place right across the street. About 530/month for one bedroom which includes heat. Sorry, I don't have the number in front of me.
    --Josh

26. Kent Ray

Kent Ray Member
    10+ Year Member

I graduated from DMU in 2000. I lived several places. Look for houses for rent! I stayed in a huge very nice two bedroom for 600. Look for good deals dont just go to 3000 grand or the other appartments. You will find a very nice and cheap place if you look within 2 miles of the school. Get a Des Moines Paper, look online I am sure there are several listings.

27. jpdmu

jpdmu Junior Member

I'll be in DMU next year Class of 2005!!!.... Congratulations to those of you accepted. Good luck in finding housing. Try Windsor Terrace (3333 Grand Avenue - right across the street from DMU) The owner does not advertise her complex b/c she doesn't need to. There's a waiting list for 2 bedroom apartments. IF you're looking for a 1-bed, hurry up, she has four openings left. Anymore folks, entering next year or have decided to go to DMU? After reading all the things about DMU at this site, I could see why some folks would think twice.... I didn't though, personal reasons,.... Later! Signing off from California where the Sun is suppose to be shining (But it isn't right now) and were electricity was suppose to be never a problem (But it is).... Congrats again! See you all there next year....

28. kidterrific

10+ Year Member

Only four left? I wanted a place out there! Damn!

Look, I think it's time that all this DMU talk be addressed in a professional manner. I think that there's just too much emotion flying around and that there's too many people interpreting opinion as fact.

What has really gone wrong with DMU? You have Kent Ray DO, who is complaining about the clinicals (an argument that I'm NOT going to repeat), and you have the infamous Hank (who I really want to meet when I get out there) Hill who has a problem with a statement that may or not have been made by an anatomy prof. Now don't re-iterate the argument here, Hank - I know it goes deeper than the 'lazy ass' statement. He's also upset about a self-study embryo course, the lack of seating in the 1st year hall (which I admit - sucks), and the fact that some teachers don't always follow the syllabus. Oh, and there's the occasional powerpoint glitch.

I think I summed it up. You have to remember that there's people who aren't going to like their school (even Harvard). I'm actually proud that the DMU guys have all tried to actively help the situation. I respect every one of them for their opinion, and am glad that they are working the problem (and recruiting help).

When I say that every school has its problems, I mean just that. I know of a few osteopathic schools right now that have students creating websites solely for the purpose of bashing the school. I know of one in particular that has faculty in an uproar ready to walk. I know of allopathic schools that are getting sued for discrimination. And then there's DMU, where most of the students agree that it has a great teaching staff when it's not pissing off the student body with surprise notes, a small lecture hall with plans to expand, and clinicals that mimic EVERY OTHER OSTEOPATHIC school that has problems you can work through if you select your clinicals wisely.

Kent, I'm positive that you'll agree that the problems you faced can be worked through if you wisely choose your clinicals. Be aware that I'm not blowing off your concerns with the lie "you get what you put in." In fact, I feel that your problem isn't with DMU, but with the AOA. I propose that chance favors the prepared mind, and that if you research your options, you'll find one that you like. Kent did, and he's working on an allopathic residency. God bless him - he's going to be an incredible doctor because he cared so much about his education, he busted his azz to get the one he felt was the best. Most doctors just take what's handed to them. I ask that you don't do that, but work the problem as Kent did. Not only did he find the solution, but he didn't abandon Osteopathy; he tried to go back and tell everyone what was wrong with it so they could work on a solution.

I am seriously getting off the topic. My point is that I'm concerned that people will actually not consider DMU because of a few bad posts. I think that we should consider the whole scheme of things, and not run just because there's a fire. You're going to get these problems anywhere you go, and I have deeply considered everything said on this board. I have concluded that the good outweighs the bad, and that I can live with most of what has been done.

My bottom line? Email me future DMU's - I want drinking buddies!

------------------
    --
    KidT
    [email protected]

29. Some of you have contacted me about financial aid... the people at the financial aid office can give you much better info than I can so e-mail them at:
    [email protected]
    --Joshua Smith

30. muonwhiz

muonwhiz Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Well posted, kidT. I sure wish that Dean Teitlebaum would come on line and clear some of this up from the offical administrative viewpoint, as well as telling those of us who are accepted or prospective students what he plans for future improvements. I think that would allay alot of fears and misgivings. Hopefully he or someone else from the administration will see this and give us some information.