DMU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtleboard

SDN Advisor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is DMU the same as UHS or UOMHS?

Why the name change?

Tim of New York City.

Members don't see this ad.

Turtleboard

It is the same as UOMHS. I think the name change was done to prevent confusion between UHS and UOMHS.

vmac

I talked with the physician at my interview about this. He said there were a number of issues. It sounded like they wanted to identify with the community. He also mentiond that the name was too similar to UHS.

Members don't see this ad :)
One is the University of the Health Sciences (UHS), the other is the University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences (UOMHS). They're not all that similar. Maybe because UOMHS isn't easy to say, like simply "DMU."

So which university is the one with the "College of Osteopathic Medicine & Surgery?"

Tim of New York City.

Here's the REAL reason:

Which would you choose?

Hi, my name is (enter name here), and I attend the University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery in Des Moines, IA
frown.gif

OR

Hi, my name is (enter name here), and I attend Des Moines University !!!
smile.gif

Indiana Mike, DO (to be)

OK, I see. I have the same problem because of the number of words in the school's official name. I guess that's why they've been using the old name for quite some time.

Cool.

Tim of New York City.