MNova

10+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I know this sounds silly, but is transcription known as "DNA Transcription" or "RNA Transcription?" I understand DNA is being transcribed into RNA, but all of the books I have just refer to it as "Transcription," and I've been seeing some questions that are asking whether it's DNA or RNA.

In the same vein, would it be considered "DNA Translation" or "RNA Translation?"

And finally, the following type of question makes me very angry. When they ask about fetal gas exchange, is it the chorion, the placenta, or the allantois?? It seems every description of the above three describes some form of gas exchange, and usually, two out of the three are listed as answer choices. Grr.

Jun 16, 2009
New York
Status
Podiatry Student
I'm pretty sure its DNA transcription because its the DNA that being transcribed. I think if you want to refer to the process from RNA perspective it would be called RNA synthesis. Same with RNA translation and protein synthesis. As for the gas exchange question, did they tell you what type of fetal animal they were referring to. For example if they said a fetal reptile, there obviously wouldnt be a placenta and I think the gas exchange would be through the allantois.

Jun 16, 2009
New York
Status
Podiatry Student
actually if they said fetal, it couldnt be a reptile so I have no idea..sorry

Tommy43087

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Status
Dentist
I know this sounds silly, but is transcription known as "DNA Transcription" or "RNA Transcription?" I understand DNA is being transcribed into RNA, but all of the books I have just refer to it as "Transcription," and I've been seeing some questions that are asking whether it's DNA or RNA.

In the same vein, would it be considered "DNA Translation" or "RNA Translation?"

And finally, the following type of question makes me very angry. When they ask about fetal gas exchange, is it the chorion, the placenta, or the allantois?? It seems every description of the above three describes some form of gas exchange, and usually, two out of the three are listed as answer choices. Grr.
Its always DNA transcription and RNA translation because only DNA get transcribed and only RNA gets translated, EXCEPT when were talking about reverse transcriptase where RNA is transcribed to DNA.

May 22, 2009
Status
Dental Student
I believe the gas exchange in mammals (or well at least humans) occurs through the placenta, but in animals that have eggs (reptiles, birds), gas exchange occurs through Chorion (well Kaplan says chorion provides the moist surface for gas exchange while Allantois provides vessels for nutrient and waste transport.

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
Genes are transcribed into RNA. Since genes are located on the DNA, then the correct term is "DNA Transcription."
RNA is translated into protein; hence, the term "RNA Translation."
I might be wrong, but I think the correct choice is the Placenta!
I believe allantois is primarily involved in waste elimination and the chorion becomes part of the placenta in mammals.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
I think I saw two of the exact same thread about 1 week ago. I guess many people are doing topscore these days.

Jun 8, 2009
Status
yeah i would say placenta too because if it is fetal i would think they refer to mammals. And consequently I would pick placenta. I hope that is teh right answer

smurf528

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Florida
Status
Pre-Dental
it's DNA Transcription for the first question. The second one will be placenta. The allantois becomes the placenta, and the placenta is what permits gas exchange.

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
it's DNA Transcription for the first question. The second one will be placenta. The allantois becomes the placenta, and the placenta is what permits gas exchange.
I think allentois gets integrated into the umbilical cord!

smurf528

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Florida
Status
Pre-Dental
the blood vessels of the allantoic wall enlarge and become the umbilical cord which then is developed with the placenta. So the allantois is the placenta and the umbilical cord.

Can someone correct this if it's wrong?

My Kaplan BB practice exam has a question that asks, "which of the following is involved in respiration and excretion, and develops into the placenta in humans?"

The answer is allantois.

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
the blood vessels of the allantoic wall enlarge and become the umbilical cord which then is developed with the placenta. So the allantois is the placenta and the umbilical cord.

Can someone correct this if it's wrong?

My Kaplan BB practice exam has a question that asks, "which of the following is involved in respiration and excretion, and develops into the placenta in humans?"

The answer is allantois.
I don't think the umbilical cord becomes the placenta. It attaches to the placenta, but from a developmental point of view I don't think it's the umbilical cord that gives rise to the placenta.
Like I mentioned in my previous post, allantois is the membrane that's primarily involved in waste elimination (excretion) and secondarily involved in gas exchange!