Do 4th year undergrad grades affect you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess so, but no other thread on factors that PD's look at gives the slightest mention of undergrad GPA.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=707205&highlight=factors+for+residency+application

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=293671

http://www.hcpro.com/RES-238870-294...when-prescreening-candidate-applications.html

There's also that published list of 14 or so things floating around out there, but I couldn't find it. Yes I'm in undergrad, but I won't be for much longer. I'm sure there's plenty I've yet to learn and my attitude will change with experience.

All you three have done in this thread, though, is lean on your status as medical students without offering any background info to the topic at hand besides your limited personal experience.

I have heard in other threads that Undergrad GPA/MCAT, even SAT/ACT count in application to more selective residencies. Obviously, I have no proof, but it didn't strike me as all that shocking.

Members don't see this ad.

I mean in the sense that no one is going to see or care about a "trend." At most you will see 3.xx. And no one will care about it anyway.

It's not a major factor in most cases, I'll give you that.

I did hear of a case in which undergrad GPA was brought up in several interviews. This individual even went so far as to say it was the main reason he got so many interviews. It had to have been something because his step 1 wasn't what you would consider competitive for this field.

Looking at an example of my Dean's Letter right now. There is no mention of undergrad grades or GPA, just major and where you went. Perhaps it is different at other schools, but undergrad grades to residency are analogous to high school grades to medical school.

Surprising. It was included in mine. As was my MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regardless of whether or not it shows up on your report, I just don't see the validity in counting your undergraduate GPA for anything. If you have low grades and scores in medical school but a high undergraduate GPA, who seriously thinks that you could make up for a poor MEDICAL school performance with good Greek Mythology and Introduction to Poetry grades?

Regardless of whether or not it shows up on your report, I just don't see the validity in counting your undergraduate GPA for anything. If you have low grades and scores in medical school but a high undergraduate GPA, who seriously thinks that you could make up for a poor MEDICAL school performance with good Greek Mythology and Introduction to Poetry grades?

Did you take those courses?

I think we're in agreement that it doesn't make sense to hold these in high regard. However, I don't presume to understand any of these admission processes. All that I will say is that your undergraduate GPA MAY be reported to residency programs. I'm not going to venture a guess about whether they care about them or not because I'm sure it depends on the program director, and there are some weird ones out there.

No I was just trying to pick random stuff.

I have heard in other threads that Undergrad GPA/MCAT, even SAT/ACT count in application to more selective residencies. Obviously, I have no proof, but it didn't strike me as all that shocking.

You forgot to mention high school valedictorian status... it's highly sought after at MGH.

Let me start by saying that I'm LOL, and end with it too.

har har har :sleep:

Seriously? No one gives a damn about your SAT in medical school apps, let alone residency apps. You haven't even applied to medical school yet. You're either a troll, or exceptionally clueless.

umm...a lot of people posting in this thread are kidding. no need for everyone to get all sensitive.:laugh: