Do a lot of math for BCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are extremely talented in mathematics, would minoring in it be a good idea? Since math is part of BCPM and you can make A's in your math courses, shouldn't it be given consideration? All A's in a mathematics minor would be a huge BCPM booster.

With all of this being said, I am not insinuating that the other pre-reqs will be horrible. I am just considering doing it because a 4.0 gpa in a mathematics minor (6-7 math classes) would be a great buffer.

Your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are extremely talented in mathematics, would minoring in it be a good idea? Since math is part of BCPM and you can make A's in your math courses, shouldn't it be given consideration? All A's in a mathematics minor would be a huge BCPM booster.

With all of this being said, I am not insinuating that the other pre-reqs will be horrible. I am just considering doing it because a 4.0 gpa in a mathematics minor (6-7 math classes) would be a great buffer.

Your thoughts?

Math counts in BCPM... so it will be a good thing for your GPA if you can hit A's.

It only counts as BCPM if you're applying MD. DO schools don't count it, unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't you already graduate with an econ degree some time back? You should already have like 5 math classes minimum through that (calc I, calc II, linear algebra, stata, regression analysis/econometrics). Math is awesome, yes, but unless it's directly related to your major or you are interested in it for its own sake, you're probably better off taking whatever other courses you are interested in.

Yes a lot of these courses were relevant for my Econ major so I have decided to finish off the math minor.

I have:

College Algebra: A => took this in my 1st semester of college way back when...it's a joke, but also a math class part of BCPM :)
Business Calc: A
Calc 1: A
Calc 2: A
Calc 3: B
Differential Equations: A
Business Stats: A
Econometics: A
Mathematical Econ: A

I will take a few more for the minor.

Didn't you already graduate with an econ degree some time back? You should already have like 5 math classes minimum through that (calc I, calc II, linear algebra, stata, regression analysis/econometrics). Math is awesome, yes, but unless it's directly related to your major or you are interested in it for its own sake, you're probably better off taking whatever other courses you are interested in.

Owen-Starsky-Hutch-Signature-Do-It.jpg

Med schools care about GPA. A's help you get a higher GPA. Math classes wil get you more A's. Why are we still talking?