Do accountants make as much as dentists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ser

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a question, do professional accountants such as CPA, CA and CMA have the ability to make the same salaries as dentists?

I did not think so, but I heard accountants do make very good money, for example, 10 years after graduating, an accredited professional accountant have an average salary of $100k.

Members don't see this ad.

Accountants with a strong background in embezzlement probably make as much dentists. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ser
Just a question, do professional accountants such as CPA, CA and CMA have the ability to make the same salaries as dentists?

I did not think so, but I heard accountants do make very good money, for example, 10 years after graduating, an accredited professional accountant have an average salary of $100k.
Some will, sure.

I don't know where half the n00bs on SDN get this idea that people's salaries are fixed, I swear.

To piggy-back on what Bill said: Sure, there are accountants that make OODLES of money. There are also dentists that make next to NOTHING.

On average, however, dentists make more than accountants. This falls along the same vein that there ARE lawyers that make a killing in their professions, but the average dentist will pull down more than the average lawyer.

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
To piggy-back on what Bill said: Sure, there are accountants that make OODLES of money. There are also dentists that make next to NOTHING.

On average, however, dentists make more than accountants. This falls along the same vein that there ARE lawyers that make a killing in their professions, but the average dentist will pull down more than the average lawyer.

I agree. Thanks for fleshing this out. I was too lazy to write it all down.

If you're among the top of your game, you can make 6 figures in almost any profession. you can be a chef, hairdresser, computer programmer, car salesman, etc. heck, i know many realtors who have not much education but they make a killing that can probably put dentists to shame- but there are also an equal and probably greater number of them not doing so well.

it's just that on avg people from professonal schools have higher chance of landing stable, above-avg paying jobs. so being a dentist/doctor/lawyer/mba is a surer way to make 6 fig than the above examples.

Am I correct in saying:

In general, the salaries of these professions are in this order:

Dentist>physcian>Lawyer>accountant>teacher
150k+/ 120k+/ 100k+/ 80k+/ 60k+

:)

I'm being facetious, but in general, that's the picture right?

Originally posted by ser
Am I correct in saying:

In general, the salaries of these professions are in this order:

Dentist>physcian>Lawyer>accountant>teacher
150k+/ 120k+/ 100k+/ 80k+/ 60k+

I'm being facetious, but in general, that's the picture right?
In general, there are literally millions of people comprising the professions you've included above. I'm not going to catalyze an argument about exact numbers, but some of your salary estimates are seriously skewed.

Furthermore, does it really matter? For crying out loud, people, we're entering a profession whose earnings sit in the top 5% of American jobs, and there shouldn't be ANYONE with a license to practice dentistry that can't provide for him/herself and family. Beyond that, I hope y'all enjoy shortening your lives obsessing over whose fishing boat is two feet longer than whose.

Dude, relax, I wasn't being serious, hence the word facetious.;)

Instead of popping a vain, you could give a straight answer. The reason why I posted is because I'm in an accounting program right now, training to be a professional accountant, and the marks I'm getting is making me think about Dental school because they generally make more money than accountants.

Originally posted by ser
Dude, relax, I wasn't being serious, hence the word facetious.;)

Instead of popping a vain, you could give a straight answer. The reason why I posted is because I'm in an accounting program right now, training to be a professional accountant, and the marks I'm getting is making me think about Dental school because they generally make more money than accountants.
Yeah, sorry. There's a lot of hyperobsession about salaries here in here, and a woeful lack of perspective.

To answer your question, it's hard to compare. Established general dentists typically outearn most primary care physicians, but when you get into specialties the numbers get pretty extreme. BLS says lawyers average $90,000, and you'd generally have to teach a LONG time most places to earn $60,000 a year. If you decide to go dental, best of luck :D It's a great profession.

60k for a teacher, at least in my home state, is completely laughable. Even a teacher with 10 years of experience AND a master's degree would be lucky to pull that wage.