Do adcoms care if I had a blood clot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmlyDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only took 11 credit hours this Fall 2013 semester. Ecology Lab 1 hour, biochemistry 1 hour, microbiology 4 hours, and microeconomics 3 hours.

This was my last semester in undergrad and my final grades were:
ecology lab: A-
Biochemistry: B+
Microbiology: B+
Microeconomics: B+

I also was the treasurer of my fraternity for the past year and that took up a significant amount of time.

But in late september I had a blood clot in my leg, and was diagnosed with a prothrombin factor II genetic mutation. I was on crutches for almost 3 weeks. And I feel like this set me back. Should I discuss this with adcoms? Since my gpa for this term was only a 3.33... And I had a 3.7 last spring and I got A's in human anatomy, and statistics this past summer.

I feel like I got screwed in microeconomics. I had a 93% prior to the final but the final brought me down to a 90%...at least thats what it said on blackboard. The professor gave me a B+ because I had 890.84 points out of 1000, and then he multiplied that times 100 giving me an 89.

Members don't see this ad.

I only took 11 credit hours this Fall 2013 semester. Ecology Lab 1 hour, biochemistry 1 hour, microbiology 4 hours, and microeconomics 3 hours.

This was my last semester in undergrad and my final grades were:
ecology lab: A-
Biochemistry: B+
Microbiology: B+
Microeconomics: B+

I also was the treasurer of my fraternity for the past year and that took up a significant amount of time.

But in late september I had a blood clot in my leg, and was diagnosed with a prothrombin factor II genetic mutation. I was on crutches for almost 3 weeks. And I feel like this set me back. Should I discuss this with adcoms? Since my gpa for this term was only a 3.33... And I had a 3.7 last spring and I got A's in human anatomy, and statistics this past summer.

I feel like I got screwed in microeconomics. I had a 93% prior to the final but the final brought me down to a 90%...at least thats what it said on blackboard. The professor gave me a B+ because I had 890.84 points out of 1000, and then he multiplied that times 100 giving me an 89.

I was in the same situation as you (crutches, hospital, and coumadin) and was able to explain at interviews what had happened. Personally, I did not mention this in any of my supplementals or personal statement, but felt like the explanation was better and more heartfelt in person. To answer your question, I do believe AdComs consider serious medical conditions for their applicants and blood clots are no definitely no joke (I couldn't bend my leg at all or sit for long periods of time). Best of luck with your application and get better!