do adcoms check myspace

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EndingMySamsara

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am freaking out right now.
This is my story: after my interviews, I wrote on myspace how much I didn't like this interviewer, this school, etc. I deleted those posts recently, but now I am worried that one of the interviewers googled me and read my old posts. Any comments.

Members don't see this ad.

I need to know this now. I can't sleep these days worrying about that darn myspace.

I need to know this now. I can't sleep these days worrying about that darn myspace.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my story: after my interviews, I wrote on myspace how much I didn't like this interviewer, this school, etc. I deleted those posts recently, but now I am worried that one of the interviewers googled me and read my old posts. Any comments.

lol, there's always a possibility that your information on the internet could potentially cause harm. there's nothing you can do about your information that you've had on the past on myspace. certain webservices and people do cache certain people's information that could prove to be useful later (for example, in blackmailing). however, to protect yourself in the future avoid putting any information that could cause harm on any facebook, myspace, blog, socializing websites, or any other form of webcontent. if you do use such services, try to remain completely anonymous. In fact, there's still a chance that someone from my school using sdn could potentially identify who I am using mdapps and my prior threads/posts.

also, on occasion do a google search of <yourfirstname yourlastname> and <"yourfirstname yourlastname"> while leaving out the <> symbols. for example search for John Doe and "John Doe" . and if you find content that you don't want, try to remove it.

There was a story on the radio recently about an underaged girl inviting a bunch of her friends over for a party when her parents went away. she posted the details of this on her myspace along with pictures of her and her friends drinking and smoking up and I guess the principal at her school came across it and reported it to the police. the party got broken up and she was actually arrested and had to go to court and everything. the funny thing is that after she saw the judge and was then released on probation she went back on myspace to post about how much she hated the judge, venting about her experience! needless to say the judge found her page and she was thrown back in jail. There was also drugs involved as well. This happened in Michigan. Anyway, stuff like this rarely happens though!

There was a story on the radio recently about an underaged girl inviting a bunch of her friends over for a party when her parents went away. she posted the details of this on her myspace along with pictures of her and her friends drinking and smoking up and I guess the principal at her school came across it and reported it to the police. the party got broken up and she was actually arrested and had to go to court and everything. the funny thing is that after she saw the judge and was then released on probation she went back on myspace to post about how much she hated the judge, venting about her experience! needless to say the judge found her page and I was thrown back in jail. There was also drugs involved as well. This happened in Michigan. Anyway, stuff like this rarely happens though!

that's how most criminals/law-breakers get caught; by bragging or telling everyone about their crime.

Unlikely but not out of the question. I know current employers sometimes screen their would-be employees through these websites. Chances are, depending on the school, the adcoms decided on the interview day thumbs up or thumbs down.

just screwing around

thanks for pointing out the obvious :thumbup:

that was a very funny typo!!! LOL1 i laughed at the possibility that you were the girl for a second who accidentally revealed her identity. but im pretty sure your a guy :p

Members don't see this ad :)
that was a very funny typo!!! LOL1 i laughed at the possibility that you were the girl for a second who accidentally revealed her identity. but im pretty sure your a guy :p

in the medical world of cultural competency, there's a chance the OP was a guy and is now a girl (either through identity or a sex change).

LOL yeah when inside_edition quoted me that was when I realized I made a typo. I think that's the worst typo in sdn history. It wasn't even a spelling error; it was the wrong choice of word! I was thinking wtf too when I re-read it. hahahahha

PRIVACY SETTINGS..... duh... :sleep: :rolleyes:

alll i can say is that you are an idiot. 1- who uses myspace. use a tasteful site like facebook. 2- who posts their life on the internet for the world to read. find some real friends and talk to them in person rather than broadcast to the world ur feelings. you knew very well that this was a possibility when you posted it.

PRIVACY SETTINGS..... duh... :sleep: :rolleyes:

Myspace.com and Facebook sell administrator profiles to large academic institutions (med schools), large employers, and background check companies. Administrator profiles can override simple privacy settings, so don't trust them.

does facebook keep an archive of prior information?

does facebook keep an archive of prior information?

Yes, facebook has a log of every activity you have ever done, including which pages you visit, every click you have ever made. Also, administrators have access to your private messages to other members. You should send important information through email only. Basically everything you do is being watched on facebook for security reasons and safety of its members.

There was a story on the radio recently about an underaged girl inviting a bunch of her friends over for a party when her parents went away. she posted the details of this on her myspace along with pictures of her and her friends drinking and smoking up and I guess the principal at her school came across it and reported it to the police. the party got broken up and she was actually arrested and had to go to court and everything. the funny thing is that after she saw the judge and was then released on probation she went back on myspace to post about how much she hated the judge, venting about her experience! needless to say the judge found her page and she was thrown back in jail. There was also drugs involved as well. This happened in Michigan. Anyway, stuff like this rarely happens though!

lol I think the problem here is that the girl is a *****, not that posting stuff on a blog is harmful.

Seriously...I don't even have my full name on my blog, and most of the old pictures I put up aren't up anymore (but mostly only because I had to change servers). Then again I don't really do anything incriminating either.

On a side note though, not really about Myspace, but about Facebook (I know there's a facebook thread but it's been dead for a while). Some kid recently killed someone while drunk driving-the kid was underage, and had a fake license on him too. So the guy he killed (he hit 2 people I think the other guy is still in critical condition) was part of a different forum I go to (anandtech), and the people there found the kid's profile on facebook...

And he was in groups like:
"My Blood alcohol Content... Is Higher Than My GPA"
"It's OK Mel Ive Said Things Drunk I Didnt Mean Too"
"I got a DUI because i wanted to be more like Mel Gibson"

Under interests he had put:
"beer and failing tests, among others"

And finally, for his quote he had:
"Are you gonna drive? Yea, let me finish my beer. - Clay and Ben"

Needless to say, this pissed off quite a few people...who felt like they should save the facebook page and send it to the prosecutor...

The kid's facebook page disappeared a few days later (guess someone finally posted his damn bail), but if pissed off people actually sent his facebook profile over, I'm sure it doesn't help his case as someone who "just made a mistake", because it definitely makes him look like a regular drunk driver-and thus a complete a-hole.

Anyways, point is, don't put stupid crap that's linked to your name on the internet. Actually, don't do stupid crap to begin with and it won't even really matter what you put up.

I didn't commit any crime. I just happen to criticze some person "annonymously" that can affect my getting acceptance. Also, I have friends although not many

Yes, facebook has a log of every activity you have ever done, including which pages you visit, every click you have ever made. Also, administrators have access to your private messages to other members. You should send important information through email only. Basically everything you do is being watched on facebook for security reasons and safety of its members.

Sounds like a justification of Big Brother to me.

Regardless, never put anything on the Internet that you wouldn't want the whole world to know. It never ceases to amaze me when people publish their phone numbers and addresses on Facebook. *headdesk*

do you have your profile set to be private? if so, I'm pretty sure that the only people who can read it are those that you have accepted as friends on MySpace.com... so can they still google cached pages of yours if they are not friends of yours? I don't know.