Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Do adcoms consider full time work + MCAT?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by mus1cx, 09.29.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. mus1cx

mus1cx

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I worked 40 h/week the whole summer while studying for the MCAT (and writing med school apps). I know there are a few adcoms on this board - what are your opinions on this? Do you usually take it into account?

I scored quite a bit lower then I would've liked (MCAT 35, AAMC = 37-38) and I definitely think I could've gotten better if I wasn't working so much. Obviously I know that I'm the one who chose to work during the summer and I have to live with the consequences but it would be cool to get some insight!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Fedekz

Fedekz 7+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    hSDN
    Alumni
    I imagine they expect people to work ... They don't expect someone to just sit down and study for 14 hours a day. I'm studying for the mcat while in school this semester and working 40+ hours a week at stressful jobs (police officer and paramedic) and don't expect any sympathy from med schools. Working is something "normal" and expected, why would you get bonus points for that??

4. mus1cx

mus1cx

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I'm not expecting bonus points chill o_O. I'm just wondering if it's taken into account - you know the whole holistic view thing.

Maybe it's just my school, but the majority of people I know actually spend the entire summer on the MCAT
    • Most do ECs here and there
    • A minority may work part-time
    • I can only think of a couple of people who worked full-time
    Btw - Having to work to fund your education is not a choice, but doing the MCAT during the school year is. That part is sort of on you :p

RedSox143 and AlteredScale like this.
  5. xffan624

xffan624 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What consequences? You got a great score. Take it and run. I was working full time + and took it having to relearn all the material from the 7 years removed I was from undergrad. Nobody gave me a gold star for my score because I was working at the time. It just told them that I could handle the material.

lmw312 and MrLogan13 like this.
  6. Euxox

Euxox 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I doubt that many adcoms will scrutinize your application enough to notice that you worked while studying for the MCAT. Even so, a 35 is a great score and you have little to worry about.

allenlchs likes this.
  7. Mr Roboto

Mr Roboto 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You got a 35. Be happy.

8. Strudel19

Strudel19 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    Surprisingly, most of the kids I knew who took the MCAT took it without any job or outside commitment at all.

ciestar likes this.
  9. Plecopotamus

Plecopotamus 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There is no school where a 35 is inadequate. The chances that anybody will look into whether you were.working or not when you got a great score are essentially nil.

The only time I can imagine anybody doing that is for a subpar score, in which case they might briefly look at the sections of the app that detail extenuating circumstances, underprivileged status, etc.

lumpyduster and MrLogan13 like this.
  10. Afford

Afford

Yeah I don't think they will make the connection between working and taking the MCAT b/c they don't know how long you studied the MCAT for. A 35 is a good score and you should be fine. WashU might frown upon it, but you should be fine for the rest.

11. NickNaylor

NickNaylor Daisy the Dog Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    SDN
    Author
    Perhaps others look at this information more closely, but I don't take the time to align your activities with your MCAT test date when I'm looking at your application unless I have a reason to do so.

12. samsunimomo

samsunimomo SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You should be more worried about your completion date than your MCAT, imo.

13. Lucca

Lucca Will Walk Rope for Sandwich 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Rocket
    Scientist
    Does SDN have a completion date vs. LizzyM score compilation that we could turn into some observable data? It might be useful to see how the average LizzyM score changes over completion dates.

To OP: 35 is an excellent score and not too far away from your original range (37-38). Remember this is a scaled test so a 35 is not significantly different from a 38, in terms of questions missed and interpretation.

14. gtbROX

gtbROX 2+ Year Member

Wow, that is incredible. Full time + a 35 MCAT. You better be talking about that in your app.

AlteredScale likes this.
  15. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    First of all, you need to work on your self-esteem, because a 35 MCAT score is rock star good. The median score is 31 for matriculants at MD schools.

That you were working full-time, going to school full time, working part-time, were sick, got married, went to Nepal, doesn't matter. We expect you to do well no matter what you do.

16. Boolean

Boolean

Other than the fact that your > 11 VR may cause you to get screened at some Canadian schools (I think Queens? Can't quite remember), you're otherwise very smooth sailing. Best of luck in your application cycle.

17. mus1cx

mus1cx

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Thanks Goro! I don't have low self-esteem and I don't necessarily think 35 is a bad score. I was just a bit disappointed with it - I have a sister at UPenn so I'm kind of feeling the pressure :p

I'm screened out of Western unfortunately... but most other places are 10+ for VR. A little annoying that they require 7+ for PS and 11+ for VR... I think my strengths don't align with their desires :p

18. Boolean

Boolean

Western! Right, my apologies. Haven't been up north recently -- rather rusty on the admittance stats. All that said, you'll do fantastically. Just keep your head up and keep on trucking forward :)

19. boltedbicorne

boltedbicorne Banned Banned

Pre-Medical
    dude you got a 35 on the mcat. you have literally no reason to complain or worry about this at all. Trying to to reach for excuses for a 35 mcat makes you sound incredibly desperate, neurotic, anxiety-ridden, and obsessed with trivialities far more than stuff that actually matters.

edgerock24 likes this.
  20. WillburCobb

WillburCobb I am the pull out king Banned Account on Hold 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    OP is Candian so the concern is fairly valid.

mus1cx and Boolean like this.
  21. Boolean

Boolean

If you had read the thread or looked at OP's status, you would have seen that they are a Canadian. Canadian medical schools have incredibly high MCAT averages (they tend to concentrate solely on GPA and MCAT). Getting into medical school in Canada is incredibly difficult for this purpose, and many students set their sights on the US.

mus1cx likes this.
  22. boltedbicorne

boltedbicorne Banned Banned

Pre-Medical
    at US schools which accept international apps he'll be beyond competitive and can always do canadian residency. no biggie. if canadian schools are gonna do that the US always is open for him.

Last edited: 09.30.14

About the ads