1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Do adcoms consider work obligations when looking at academic performance?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by biophysicbadass, May 28, 2002.

1. biophysicbadass

7+ Year Member

Hi all,
    I was wondering if anyone has applied to med school (or MD/PhD) with an academic record that suffered as a result of work or other. As soon as I went to undergrad my father became very ill, my family almost lost everything they had and my mom was working 90 hrs a week to keep things going. I worked full time to support myself and to contribute to my family. Needless to say my GPA suffered. After 4 years of battling with financial aid and being lost in red tape, I finally got some grant money in my fifth year and was able to cut down to part time work,maintained almost a 4.0 until graduation (dean's list and all). This was only enough to pull my GPA to a 3.1 though. I am currently in a grad program (medical physics, grad GPA 3.8), never considered the MD until the last year as a matter of fact. Now I'm worried that my undergrad record will screw me. I feel I have demonstrated academic excellence in the last 4 years, but do adcoms really care about circumstances, or just numbers? Are there certain schools that care about circumsatnce? If anyone has been in a similar situation any feedback would be EXTREMELY helpful!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doc Oc

Doc Oc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I worked 50 hours a week while going to college full-time until second semester junior year, and did awesome when I actually had time to study. The change in my grades was brought up in every interview - but I also addressed it in my personal statement. I think they do look at that, if you put it in your primary application somewhere. I don't think they'd just give a poor GPA the benefit of the doubt. Most of my interviewers who brought it up said they were impressed by it, and that it showed dedication, etc. I think you can play that fact to your advantage.

4. brickmanli

brickmanli Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

One good way is to have your employer write you a recommendation, and if possible, have him/her address your circumstances.