Do adcoms know better than we do what is good for us?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banannie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that tons of acceptances are rolling in, and from the looks of the count down threads, there is no rhyme or reason to why certain schools chose to show no love for some of their most well qualified, most enthusiastic applicants, I wonder: Do these admissions committees really know what's best for us?

They tell us exactly what they look for in a medical student, then turn right around and seem to defy these criteria. My own personal experience: I didn't even get an interview at my own personal dream school. It wasn't a top 10 school. I honestly thought I fit exactly what they were looking for, but I guess maybe not.

Meanwhile, I've been accepted to one big name school, the only USNews "Top 20" that interviewed me, a school that really emphasizes that it chooses students who it feels will best fit . . . the only problem is, I don't really see it. I am in some ways the opposite of what I thought they wanted.

After all of the reflection I've done to write my personal statement and tons of secondary essays, I really thought I knew myself. But maybe these adcoms see right through me, see things about me I didn't even know? Is this possible?

The Adcoms mainly consist of people who were med students at one time, who now probably interact with lots of them on a daily basis. The images we have of ourselves are based on experiences as undergrads and employees, but not necessarily as medical students. So maybe they do know, better than we could at this stage, who's going to be best for their school.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm just trying to make sense of all this insanity.

My personal philosophy: the adcoms at these schools are populated by the baby-boomer generation, who've watched "The Big Chill" one too many times and consequently now live by the mantra: "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need." So, they systematically, and sadistically deny us all what we want!!

Members don't see this ad.

what are these schools looking for? I see two major slants: primary care and focus on patient interaction vs. specialty care and a focus on research.

Banannie,

I've always heard how random the process is and now I'm getting to witness it first hand. You're the exact opposite of me. I interviewed at 4 of the 5 top 10 schools I applied to and just got rejected by my dream school, which was ironically the one that accepted you when you weren't expecting it. You should be really grateful for that acceptance. You have no idea what it would have meant for some of us to get into that school. I'm trying to think that way with the one acceptance i have now even though I'm not the least bit excited about the school. Good luck to you and congrats.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, i think it was at Tufts (?) where someone said "ad coms have been doing this for so long that we know which school a student will end up even before the student does."

scary comment.

Originally posted by bridgie
yeah, i think it was at Tufts (?) where someone said "ad coms have been doing this for so long that we know which school a student will end up even before the student does."

scary comment.

DAMN! Given what my interviewers have said to me... I hope that's true!!! But it's not looking like it...

Originally posted by ccCrazie
I've always heard how random the process is and now I'm getting to witness it first hand.

Word.

I believe I heard a similar comment at one of the schools I interviewed at (or maybe it was my advisor...). I wish they would just let us know which school we would actually be accepted to and do well at. It would save a lot of stress, time, money, and heartache.