Do ADCOMS like Jocks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HardlyDavidson

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed some funny turnouts with unexpected interview offers and unexpected rejections. Very, very unpredictable in fact. So what's the bottom line? How much does 4 year varsity involvement count? I mean- we spend 30 hours a week bustin' our asses- is that recognized?

Members don't see this ad.

hm...well...yeah, it's an activity and yeah it's on the AMCAS...but it's not really basic science research or clinical volunteer work. I mean, yeah...they'll care, but, well I guess I don't know.

None,

Unsettling response. Of course I do volunteer/clinical and lab work too- but doing that alone makes you the same as everyone else. Barring the fact it's not clinical or lab-ratesque- anyone have any stories of dumb jocks they're jealous of because they had mediocre credentials
around 30, 3.4, and multiple acceptances at good places? Anyone?

Thanks for he insight, None.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they weigh it rather heavily in considering your app. I know the dean at columbia told a friend of mine that athletes make the best surgeons. Anyway, this friend has pretty solid numbers and alright EC's but has gotten interview invites from almost every school she applied to (~30+).

Just a guess, but I think that they really like the athletes.

I spent the first two years of college as a varsity swimmer (30+) hours/week in the pool. I quit after sophomore year to be an RA, do research, volunteer, and tutor. Many of my interviewers have asked why I switched from being an athlete to being more "well-rounded." The basic reason was I hated my coach, but it was really more that I wanted to spend more time doing other things than having my face in the water. I've already had 4 interviews and 1 acceptance. I'm declining my other 2 interview invites. Hope this helps OlympicGold.

30 interviews???
haha....
sure........... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No lie. She has already had about 10 and has 2 a week until finals (~5 weeks to go). Don't even know about winter/spring yet. ..

sorry, i meant i spent 30hr/week in the pool! god, i couldn't afford to appoy to 30 schools!

Yes, they do like jocks. As long as you act like a normal human being (something I rarely did as a wide receiver for school), interact intelligently and have good grades and MCAT scores, it is a plus. Being able to devote that kind of time (most non-athletes can't imagine the time you have to give) shows you have great time management skills. Playing sports at that kind of level shows dedication, perserverance and potential (anyone want a doctor like that?). I can't think of it as a neg at all. I had a great interview with a guy that played LB at Michigan, and it was cool! --Trek

Thanks for the boost in confidence, guys. My road bike's a Trek OCLV.