MTRN406

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
Feb 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
If you apply to a school after the close of business on Friday, and receive a rejection email at 1am Sunday morning, is it safe to say you were auto-screened by the computer?

About the Ads

NonTrad16

2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
If you apply to a school after the close of business on Friday, and receive a rejection email at 1am Sunday morning, is it safe to say you were auto-screened by the computer?
You could be rejected on Tuesday or Friday and the email batch was set to go out Sunday. Or you could (effectively) be rejected in August but get emailed in July.

It's a fun process. Try to focus on more productive things, however minuscule. At the end of the day, the process is not transparent.

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
It being the weekend doesnt seem to matter at least to me.. you were rejected in like 40 hours, I doubt adcoms read apps within two days of receiving them. I could be wrong though, just keep your head up OP!

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
It being the weekend doesnt seem to matter at least to me.. you were rejected in like 40 hours, I doubt adcoms read apps within two days of receiving them. I could be wrong though, just keep your head up OP!
I do.

DameJulie

2+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I know some schools sends out batches of rejections at the end of every week. The time of the day/week doesn't mean much. Your decision can come out on Monday but you don't receive the email on Friday.

I received rejections at late night before. It's probably a computer thing.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
It does sound like an auto-screen but some adcoms review applications at odd hours, including weekends, because their clinical schedules leave them no choice.

Reactions: Catalystik

fourandtwo

7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2012
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
It does sound like an auto-screen but some adcoms review applications at odd hours, including weekends, because their clinical schedules leave them no choice.
I've always wondered- how many more hours of work does an average adcom put in a week to perform adcom duties?

OP
M

MTRN406

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
Feb 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I've always wondered- how many more hours of work does an average adcom put in a week to perform adcom duties?
My guess would be 1-2 hours. Thirty seconds to two minutes to screen an application, and 100 applications per week. That gives a range of 50 to 200 minutes.

Reactions: fourandtwo

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
My guess would be 1-2 hours. Thirty seconds to two minutes to screen an application, and 100 applications per week. That gives a range of 50 to 200 minutes.
Ha!
A proper review including reading the PS, the ECs, the secondary, the LORs, and looking over the GPA/MCAT/courses taken and putting that all into context takes 20-30 minutes per application. I can't do more than 3 per hour. The work load can be upward of 35 applications every two weeks for about 16 weeks, plus post-interview reviews which can take about 2-3 minutes each for -2030 reviews per week. When it comes time to make decisions, they average 2 minutes each with most taking 1 minute and a small minority taking a 5-10 minutes for group discussion.

About the Ads