Do admissions give preference to students with difficult majors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPGator3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do dental school admissions give preference to students with difficult majors? I majored in Chemical Engineering and I was curious to know if I would be given a little more leeway with my GPA (3.35) than other applicants with less rigorous majors.

Should I even bother applying to schools with significantly higher GPA averages?

Members don't see this ad.

That is fine and dandy.

BUT what is your science GPA? or the grades in pre-reqs....these are the courses that all applicants are required to complete.

Do dental school admissions give preference to students with difficult majors? I majored in Chemical Engineering and I was curious to know if I would be given a little more leeway with my GPA (3.35) than other applicants with less rigorous majors.

It all depends on what your engineering colleagues are bringing to the table in terms of gpa/dat.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=640363

Members don't see this ad :)
Sci. GPA is only a 3.25, but the vast majority of those courses were a long time ago. I had a big GPA upswing in my last two years and the most recent indicator of my knowledge in science is my DAT (TS=23, AA=23, PA=24).

It should hold some weight, I mean, I can totally see a chemical engineering major take biology courses, but somehow, when I think of albert average the biology major taking a course in thermodynamics or transport phenomena....I see his head explode.

Most biology people can't even handle physical chemistry "light" for biochemistry majors.....

Sci. GPA is only a 3.25, but the vast majority of those courses were a long time ago. I had a big GPA upswing in my last two years and the most recent indicator of my knowledge in science is my DAT (TS=23, AA=23, PA=24).

Given your dat scores which places you in an elite group of 1 in 1000 why are you even asking the question about gpa alone?

Given your dat scores which places you in an elite group of 1 in 1000 why are you even asking the question about gpa alone?

Because I wouldn't think that the DAT score would matter, if my GPA was so much lower than the average at certain schools. Isn't GPA the most important factor?

Because I wouldn't think that the DAT score would matter, if my GPA was so much lower than the average at certain schools. Isn't GPA the most important factor?

Hey JPGator3...I was a bioengineering major and I can honestly say that since u have an upward trend and ure DAT scores are really high up there...u will definitely get some interviews, but I think it depends also on what school(s) u want to get into as well as ure dental experience and EC's.

Isn't GPA the most important factor?

Welcome to America. Unless you are applying to the Ivy leagues, DAT, MCAT, SAT or any other standardized test is given more importance than GPA............Yeah, I said it.

It surely matters, Schools will look at the load of courses and the level of each

Definitely matters. Engineering is a difficult major. You did well on the DAT. Your GPA isn't so bad where you need to worry. Just put your application together well. I think you're fine!

I would say they give you some leeway, but there not going to assume your 3.3 is a 3.5 or anything. Its a hard major, but if you can't get the grades then its too hard for you. I think your gpa is fine since your dat is so high, I'm just saying your major has much much less influence than your gpa.

I think your GPA is excellent for a chemical engineering degree. So many people do not know the hardness of the program. If there is a strict grade policy in your school, the situation gets even worse (For instance 10-15 percent for A, 30-35 percent B etc.). I finished up my undergraduate with 3.31. I did not remember any other single student above 3.7. I mentioned this fact couple times, people made fun of me( and thought that I did not study at all). Even some people think that I made it up (but that was the case the year I graduated). Simply you can tell them in interview, if someone asks you about your GPA. Good luck!

Do dental school admissions give preference to students with difficult majors?

Yep. I wouldn't worry, 3.35 is a solid GPA for ChemE. Plus you hit a homer on the DAT. You will get in somewhere, maybe not your first choice, but somewhere, I can almost guarantee that.

Should I even bother applying to schools with significantly higher GPA averages?

It depends how much you want to go to them. If they're high on your list of choices, yes, if they're "backups" then don't bother, it's a long shot anyways. Your bread and butter is schools high on DAT and less so on GPA -- these schools are a little more forgiving if you have a lot going for you in other areas. I really wouldn't stress with your stats as long as you have a decent amount of shadowing (50+ hours) and decent ECs. Pick 12 schools wisely and you should get in.

I would say they give you some leeway, but there not going to assume your 3.3 is a 3.5 or anything. Its a hard major, but if you can't get the grades then its too hard for you. I think your gpa is fine since your dat is so high, I'm just saying your major has much much less influence than your gpa.

Well, that's the root of what I was asking. A 3.3 in ChemE is much more impressive IMO than a 3.5-3.6 in the vast majority of other majors.

Well, that's the root of what I was asking. A 3.3 in ChemE is much more impressive IMO than a 3.5-3.6 in the vast majority of other majors.
I agree with you. I think it is much more impressive, however dental schools state that they don't care what you major in as long as you take some science courses. Read what UCSF states about choice of major: http://dentistry.ucsf.edu/admissions/admiss_program1.html. (hard to copy on the blackberry, but scroll to choice of major)

Last edited:

You can have your 3.3 in CE. I chose to go with a degree that best suited for geting into dental school - Natural Science degree. Worthless for anythig other than teachig, but prepared well for d-school. But, for sixkillerto say a biology major couldn't handle p-chem, thrmodynamics, etc., that is just plain silly. I bet I could take those courses and have done well. It isn't that most couldn't handle it, most choose not to take it because that is not where our interests lie. I got a 3.85 with my natural science degree with a 3.95 science gpa. And I by no means consider my self a smart individual. It is all about putting your all into what you are studying. Buisiness was boring for me and I changed majors after my first year. I didn't study and still pulled a 3.3. After the first year, I had 2 B's because I had a major I enjoyed. By doing that, I placed myself in a position where dental schools didn't need to worry about whether my GPA was comparable to another major's GPA.

Yes, there are majors that are harder than other. There aer majors that have historically lower GPA averages. But, if you choose the right one for your career goals and take courses that interest you, you too can excell in those courses. Then GPA will not be a factor.

Last edited by a moderator:

3.35 is a good GPA in chemen. Don't worry so much, your DAT is great. GPA...DAT....think of it this way, DS just want to see that you can succeed, and a Chemen who got a 98% DAT score prolly can succeed....