Do all Biology classes count for BCPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moe619

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to take a level 100 Biology class called "Life in the Sea" at a CC to help boost my sGPA during the summer. Would this class count towards BCPM and sGPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Though it should (of the course name is BIO or BSCI or something like that), I wouldn't do that. Boosting your GPA by taking easy lower-level classes at local CC is not what adcoms want to see. And I highly doubt that one class could make any noticeable improvement. If you want to improve your sGPA you should take upper division classes at your home institution, this will have a much better impact on your sGPA and overall application.

Though it should (of the course name is BIO or BSCI or something like that), I wouldn't do that. Boosting your GPA by taking easy lower-level classes at local CC is not what adcoms want to see. And I highly doubt that one class could make any noticeable improvement. If you want to improve your sGPA you should take upper division classes at your home institution, this will have a much better impact on your sGPA and overall application.

I was originally a CC student but transferred out to the Uni. I have a bunch of classes already from the CC. Also, I am already taking a bunch of upper division classes at my uni. Just figured I would take a 4 unit easy A class during the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was originally a CC student but transferred out to the Uni. I have a bunch of classes already from the CC. Also, I am already taking a bunch of upper division classes at my uni. Just figured I would take a 4 unit easy A class during the summer.
From @Goro guide:
-If you go to a CC and then to a UG school, that's fine.
-If it appears that you're avoiding your UG school's rigorous weeding courses by taking them at CCs, then that's going to raise some eyebrows.

This is extremely competitive process, why put yourself at potential disadvantage for the sake of just 1 grade?

Also, @gonnif said:
Best: Taking courses during regular term at home instititution.
Bad: taking courses during summer at home school
Worst: taking courses during summer at a local CC

It is up to you, if you think that 0.01 GPA improvement is worth the risk, then go for it, but you were warned

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
From @Goro guide:
-If you go to a CC and then to a UG school, that's fine.
-If it appears that you're avoiding your UG school's rigorous weeding courses by taking them at CCs, then that's going to raise some eyebrows.

This is extremely competitive process, why put yourself at potential disadvantage for the sake of just 1 grade?

Also, @gonnif said:
Best: Taking courses during regular term at home instititution.
Bad: taking courses during summer at home school
Worst: taking courses during summer at a local CC

It is up to you, if you think that 0.01 GPA improvement is worth the risk, then go for it, but you were warned

Right, but a 4 unit course during my summer of CC would cost me about $50. At my uni, 3 units would be over $800. I have already completed all my courses needed for a bachelors in Bio. I've taken upper division classes at Uni such as virology, hematology, immunology, medical microbiology, etc.

Even the courses I am taking next semester at my uni are all upper division level 400 and 500 classes that I don't need, but taking to help improve my GPA. Taking an easy class at CC can't be that harmful if they see I am taking a bunch of difficult classes already.

I would have taken summer at uni, but I can't justify the price if I can spend less than $100 at a CC.

Right, but a 4 unit course during my summer of CC would cost me about $50. At my uni, 3 units would be over $800. I have already completed all my courses needed for a bachelors in Bio. I've taken upper division classes at Uni such as virology, hematology, immunology, medical microbiology, etc.

Even the courses I am taking next semester at my uni are all upper division level 400 and 500 classes that I don't need, but taking to help improve my GPA. Taking an easy class at CC can't be that harmful if they see I am taking a bunch of difficult classes already.

I would have taken summer at uni, but I can't justify the price if I can spend less than $100 at a CC.
If you are taking so many UL bio classes, then what the point in taking 1 class at CC even for $50? How could this help you? 0.01 boost in GPA will not make any difference.
Again, it is up to you to take the risk

Oh please, you are going to take an OBVIOUS lower level, summer CC class to
OBVIOUSLY get an easy A to
OBVIOUSLY pad your GPA by
OBVIOUSLY not very much which
OBVIOUSLY an adcom will notice

this all OBVIOUSLY raises questions as to naivety, neurosis and just has OCD you may be

Go take a freezing cold shower until your lips turn blue and this silly “get A quick” scheme is flushed from your brain

Damn, I always hear how this site is toxic and it is true. Lol calm down, it's just a class about Life in the Sea. I'm not cheating on an MCAT.

Reactions: 4 users
Damn, I always hear how this site is toxic and it is true. Lol calm down, it's just a class about Life in the Sea. I'm not cheating on an MCAT.
*come to pre-med forum with question about your situation*
*get answers you don't like*
*insist that you you are fine*
*get another answer that you are not*
*blame forum members for being toxic*
profit

OP can take the class if they want. It might be fun/interesting. It also probably won’t make or break the app.

Reactions: 1 users
Not toxic just making what every one else saw as obvious was clear to you who was oblivious

I think you probably could’ve said that a bit nicer. You’re acting as if OP wants to take all his prereqs at a CC. I know it can be annoying but dude... calm down

Reactions: 2 users
*come to pre-med forum with question about your situation*
*get answers you don't like*
*insist that you you are fine*
*get another answer that you are not*
*blame forum members for being toxic*
profit

I don’t think it went that way. Gonnif was a little harsh lol.

Reactions: 2 users