1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Do-all Docs

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by jjbiv, Dec 16, 2001.

1. jjbiv

jjbiv Member
    10+ Year Member

Which specialty comes closest to being able to "do it all?" Emergency med seems to be a good choice, although I wonder if a general surgeon can do all they can plus operate? Of course, medicine is a team effort, but who has that breadth (and hopefully some depth!) that characterizes a "jack of all trades?" Thank you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rad

rad Member
    7+ Year Member

family practice

4. LR6SO4

LR6SO4 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with FP. Sure EM covers everything, as does general surgery. But FP has got to fit in somewhere! I suppose the broad age range from pre-natal to care for the dying, OB, all that is really do it all I think. Of course procedurally surgeons do more, diagnostically radiologists and pathologists..well you get the picture.

What are you getting to here, do you want to practice in the middle of absolutely nowhere and be the only doc for hundreds of miles? Sounds like a plan to me.

5. droliver

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'll put my two-cents in with critical-care trained-surgeons as the ones who can take care of ANYONE admission to discharge